Tuition increase information

The California State University Board of Trustees today approved a two-step tuition increase needed to sustain enrollment, classes and services for current students.

The Trustees approved a mid-year increase of five percent — or $105 – for 2010-11 that will go into effect Jan. 1, 2011. In addition, the Trustees adopted a 10 percent – or $444 – annual increase for the 2011-12 academic year that would become effective for fall 2011.

However, due to financial aid, an estimated 180,000 students – approximately half of all CSU undergrads – will be fully covered for the tuition increases.

Additionally, tens of thousands of students not fully covered by financial aid will also benefit from newly expanded federal tax credits available for family incomes of up to $180,000.

Due to the uncertainty of the state’s fiscal outlook, and also to provide students and parents with additional time for financial planning, CSU is also planning a tuition increase for 2011-12.

The Trustees indicated that they will request the state funding needed to “buy out” the proposed 2011-12 tuition increase.­ If approved by the governor and legislature, these funds would make it possible for the CSU to rescind the tuition increase.

For more information contact Eric Fallis at (562) 951-4800 or visit:

Board of Trustees

CSU Public Affairs

CSU Budget Central

CSU Social Media