Toy drive aims to benefit local families

The Bulldog Pantry, Associated Students, Inc., University Student Union Productions and the Greeks are uniting this holiday season to make Christmas for families in a need a happier occasion by hosting a toy drive.

Vice president of programs for Kappa Sigma Nicolas Neilsen said the main goal of this year’s toy drive is about making someone else’s Christmas better and helping out those in need
“If we can help one person have a better Christmas, that’s all that really matters,” Neilsen said.

The toy drive will be happening until Dec. 13th. Students, faculty and staff can also come and help wrap the toys collected at the Bulldog Pantry during the week of Dec. 13th.

“These toys will be passed out to families that come to the Bulldog Pantry for food for their children to be able to open on Christmas morning,” Jessica Medina, Bulldog Pantry volunteer coordinator, said.

Vice president of programs for Phi Mu Kristin McChesney said it’s about benefiting the people in need during the holiday season.

Neilsen said most Greeks serve community organizations such as “Service for Sight” or “Military Heroes.” This year Neilsen thought it would be better to help charities closest to campus, such as the Bulldog Pantry, and make an impact on them, especially in the holiday season.

“The Bulldog Pantry typically sees most of its families come from the areas surrounding Fresno State,” Medina said. “That is probably the families we will be serving with this toy drive as well.”

The Bulldog Pantry serves approximately 170 families each week. The family sizes range from one to two people to seven or eight people.

“My ultimate goal would be to provide two toys for each child that comes into the pantry,” Medina said. “I can’t imagine any child waking up Christmas morning and not having at least one present to open up and I don’t think any of us should have to imagine that.”

Donated toys can be dropped off in two places: the ASI office in the USU 316/317 and at the Bulldog Pantry. Wrapping paper donations will also be greatly appreciated.

“I just want to make sure that we do the best we can to make sure that all the children we serve at the Bulldog Pantry are able to wake up on Christmas morning and have the joy of opening at least one Christmas present,” Medina said. “There’s nothing like watching a child unwrap a new toy.”