Touched down in Boise

Boise, Idaho”” It’s the first time in Boise, Idaho for fellow co-sports editor Vongni Yang, online sports reporter Megan Morales and I. It’s cold, it’s wet and above all else, it’s spirited.

We touched down in Boise at around 10 p.m. last night and it was obvious this community eat, sleeps and breathes Bronco football. Moreover, when the ‘Dogs come to town, it’s becoming more and more apparent the Boise State faithful get just as amped about the bitter rivalry as Fresno State followers.

With just about eight hours until either Boise State kicker Kyle Brotzman or Fresno State golden toe Kevin Goessling boot the opening kickoff on the blue turf, here’s a breakdown of a few key matchups and things to keep an eye on throughout the game (with a little help from Boise’s local paper the Idaho Statesman).

”¢ Boise State standout middle linebacker Byron Hout (who sadly is more well known for the infamous “Blount Punch” than his on-field play) will miss the remainder of the season due to a broken foot. In his place is Derrell Acrey, a 6-foot-1-inch, 238-pound native of Highland, Calif. Acrey is making his first start since the Broncos demolished in-state rival Idaho 63-25. “It’s my time to step up,” Acrey told Idaho Statesman reporter Brian Murphy. “It’s going to be a big situation.”

”¢ The local newspaper also spotlighted senior Boise State running back Jeremy Avery, and rightfully so. In his final shot at the ‘Dogs, Avery will be looking to add to his resume against Fresno State, which includes 372 rushing yards and 118 receiving yards. Possibly the only thing Avery could ask more for is another chance to play in Bulldog Stadium. In 2007 Avery tallied 124 rushing yards and in 2009 he carved the ‘Dogs for a career-high 186 rushing yards. Avery, who splits carries with Doug Martin, hasn’t eclipsed the century mark yet this season

Ӣ The game will definitely be the coldest Fresno State has played in this season.With game time temperatures expected to be in the high 30s with chances of snow/rain showers, ball control will be key for players like running back Robbie Rouse and quarterback Ryan Colburn.

”¢ Speaking of weather, just how good is Boise State on the frigid blue tundra? Last season, when temperatures plummeted below 40 degrees, the Broncos outscored their opponents 149 to 65. Despite the score advantage, Boise State only out gained its opponents by an average of 114 yards ­in those contests.