The unspoken laws of society

The­guiding­principles of society are its unspoken laws. It’s moral code of conduct. The civil behavior contract. Laws that everyone knows, that are not up for discussion. Laws that are abided by despite being unwritten.

For example, a driver stops for a pedestrian, puts his left hand out the car window and gives them the go ahead. The pedestrian, in return, throws up a hand or a couple fingers to acknowledge the deed. Maybe, adds a smile with no teeth. That right there, that wave, that, is the unspoken law.

The wave, is the universal hand gesture when crossing a street. Ever heard the saying actions speak louder than words. There is no need for a verbal exchange because everyone already knows what the wave means–“hey man, thanks for stopping, appreciate it.”

There are those people who inherently follow the Golden Rule–do unto others as we would have them do unto us. And then there are those people who don’t.

The difference between the two is manners.

As children we are told to mind our manners. Use please and thank you. Say excuse me. Chew with our mouths closed. Wait our turn. Respect our elders.­Be on time.

As adults being told to mind our manners would most likely result in a dirty look or a middle finger to the face.

However, never are we told to mind the moral code. It’s something that comes naturally. It’s the polite thing to do. It’s something that you must figure out for yourself. Over time I have compiled the following list. Feel free to contribute.

1. Reciprocate the head nod, smile or wave
  2. Hold the door for people within a distance of 10 feet
  3. Offer your seat to the elderly
  4. Don’t snatch the last piece of anything in the fridge that is not yours
  5. Don’t stand with your back toward the elevator door
  6. Don’t air sneeze, pick your nose or fart in public
  7. Don’t select the urinal next to another man when the restrooms empty
  8. Don’t talk on your cell phone in quiet area with limited space
  9. Don’t cut lines
  10. Don’t keep people waiting