Health Center offers class on walking exercise

Associated Press file photo

Fresno State is putting on weekly healthy weight management classes through the Student Health Center, that provide information and resources free to all students interested in participating.

On Nov. 2, a class was held at the Health Center that provided students information on how walking for 30 minutes each day can help lower your body weight and even reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Stephanie Annett, a registered dietitian and health educator who is in charge of organizing these classes, has worked at Fresno State for six years and provides health information through a short presentation.

“Everyone can benefit by adding a walking program, especially people that are busy college students,” Annett said. “Because often times you don’t have an hour or two to break away and go to the gym.”

Students who attended learned that if a person who weighed 170 pounds walked a 20-minute mile they would burn 171 calories. For those looking for an actual exercise program, there is a workout called 10,000 steps per day.

A person walking 10,000 has walked approximately five miles. This program is designed for those that don’t have extra time but still want to get a workout to decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease and possibly lose weight. People who are serious about losing weight should consider increasing the amount of steps from 10,000 to 12,000-15,000 per day, according to the presentation.

Students who attended the walking program class received a free pedometer, a small electronic step counter designed to help keep track of how many steps an individual takes in a day. By using a pedometer an individual can supplement the walking they do every day with some extra walking to increase their exercise without having to go to the gym.

Business major Domingo Fernandez, 20, attended the event because his girlfriend encouraged him to go. After attending, he thought the class was interesting.

“I learned how important walking can be,” Fernandez said. “You can lose a lot of calories a day by walking.”

Fernandez feels he is now more inclined to start walking because the class gave out a walking wheel with different routes on campus and the distances of each route.

Mayra Ramirez, 20, received an e-mail about this event, so she decided to go because the walking routes on campus sounded interesting.

“I was thinking of going on walks even before I took the class, but was not sure where to start,” Ramirez said. “Now that I took the class I know I can get a workout by just walking around on campus.”

By using the walking wheel and the pedometer, students can plan a route on campus that corresponds to where their classes are located and the walking they already do on campus to create a workout routine that can help burn calories and help achieve a healthy weight.

Annett wants students to know that just because they did not attend the class does not mean this information is no longer available to them. If a student contacts the Health Center to set up a 30-minute appointment they can receive the same pedometer and walking wheel for their own walking program.

Students can even go over personal plans to help achieve a healthy weight goal by making simple changes in their lifestyle to make the goal more attainable.

“If they [students] can’t make any of the classes, then they can certainly come in and get the same information,” Annett said. “They can come in as much as they want.”