Fresno State remembers graphic design student

Graduating, applying to jobs and enjoying the last few months of school is what most Fresno State students think about during their senior year. For Ella Danilyuk, it came to an abrupt end on Oct. 30th, when the car she was traveling in crashed ”” killing her and friend Gabrielle Ellis.

Danilyuk, a senior at Fresno State, was described as being, “an incredible person and a committed student,” according to the chair of the art and design department, Martin Valencia.

Danilyuk’s creativity and “her regards to design” stood out the most to Valencia. “Her design was always personal, she always added something extra,” Valencia said.

Valencia explained that Danilyuk always brought in her personal style and background to each project that she did. “It’s hard for graphic design students to do that sometimes,” Valencia said.

He also said that Danilyuk was always “attune” to other students, and was always there to help others.

Joan Sharma, Danilyuk’s 3-D art design professor, described her as being quiet, hardworking and very creative. “She was very talented… she had so much potential in the art field,” Sharma said.

Sharma recalled the moment that she found out about Daniluyk’s death on Nov. 1.

She announced the news to her class that day. “I told my students that you never know what’s going to happen and that you should make the most of every day,” Sharma said.

“It’s very sad, she was such a beautiful young woman,” Sharma said quietly.

Danilyuk’s last completed graphic design project still hung in the Conley Art building after her death. Striking 3-D white letters of interpreted graffiti lay against a black backdrop; a handwritten nametag by Danilyuk accompanied the art piece.

“It was wonderful…done very well, unique and was well crafted,” Sharma said of the completed project.

“I feel bad that I didn’t get the chance to give Ella her grade; she would have received an ‘A’ on the project,” Sharma said.

The piece was given to the Danilyuk family last week along with her other work.

Some students in Sharma’s 3-D design class created their next projects in memory of Danilyuk.

The Danilyuk family emigrated from the Ukraine to the United States when she was less than a year old.

According to Paul Oliaro, vice president of student affairs, Danilyuk is not eligible to receive a posthumous degree because she did not pass away during the semester in which she would graduate.

“It was a really big deal for her to go to college at [Fresno] State,” Caitlin Sawatsky said, a friend and co-worker of Danilyuk.

“She had this sensibility about her, not only was she good at taking pictures and graphic design, but she painted and decorated well… she could make anything look good,” Sawatsky said.

One of the first things that Sawatsky noticed about Danilyuk was that she was an incredible photographer. “She took her camera everywhere,” Sawatsky exclaimed.

A memorial Facebook page has been set up in memory of Danilyuk. Hundreds of friends, fellow classmates and family have adorned the page with their everlasting memories and photos.

“I can’t believe she’s gone,” Sawatsky said.