Fresno State honors American veterans

Photo courtesy of Thomas Uribes

The Fresno State Student Veterans Organization gave a special thank you to American veterans yesterday, presenting a ceremony to veterans in the Memorial Court in front of the Kennel Bookstore in honor of Veteran’s Day tomorrow.

The free event caught the attention of students, faculty and staff with the sounds of bagpipes and the voice of Dr. Paul M. Oliaro, vice president for student affairs and U.S. military veteran.

Physical recreation major Julie Audell served in the Air Force for four years and three months as a Ground Radio Journeyman, where she helped maintain and repair radios.

“To me, Veteran’s Day is a reminder of all the sacrifices that I, veterans before and after me and current active military members make for our country,” Audell said.

Audell said that she thinks most students don’t recognize the true meaning of Veteran’s Day, other than a day off from school.

“Unfortunately, I don’t think that Veteran’s Day means much to anyone who doesn’t have a tie to the military,” Audell said.

Accounting major Emily Mederos feels that this day needs to be recognized more for its true meaning.

“It’s very important that we appreciate all that our troops do for us,” Mederos said. “It’s important because these people are or have been overseas, away from their loved ones, risking their lives for all of us in America.”

This day, held in dedication to those who have lost their lives and who have and are willing to put their lives at stake for our country, is a day Cliff Rogers said we should all appreciate and respect.

“These men and women made it their mission to make sure that our country remained protected, no matter what the cost,” Rogers said, an agricultural education major.

Finance major Victor Cabias said having a day set aside for veterans is the least we can do to honor them.

“Not everyone is cut for or qualified to serve in the military, it takes talented people to be a part of the military and to do what they do,” Cabias said.

In many countries people aren’t allowed to choose whether they want to be in their military or not. In some countries they are forced into military service. In America, our military now consists of people who gladly joined to fight for our country voluntarily.

“The reason America has the greatest military in the world is because its members chose to fight for our country on their own and were not compelled or forced to,” Cabias said. “They are fighting and have fought for the people and homeland that they love.”

Audell encourages us all to do two things tomorrow on Veteran’s Day””enjoy your freedom and thank a veteran.