Fresno State-Boise State in-game tidbits

FOURTH QUARTER Boise State 51, Fresno State 0 (final)

BREAKDOWN: It was a record-breaking night for many Broncos in front of an announced crowed of 33,454 in Bronco Stadium. Kellen Moore became Boise State’s all-time leading passer, Titus Young became the school’s all-time leading receiver and kicker Kyle Brotzman became the all-time leading scorer. Fresno State mustered just 125 yards against Boise State’s third-ranked defense in the country. Head coach Pat Hill stressed in recent weeks the importance of third-down conversions, but the ‘Dogs finished the night just 1-for-12. After Robbie Rouse raced to 503 rushing yards the past two games, Fresno State was held to 50 yards on the ground in Boise. Ryan Colburn easily ­had the worst start of his career statistically, completing only 26 percent of his throws for 76 yards. By game’s end, Fresno State had 126 total yards to Boise State’s 516.

BIG PLAY: As if Titus Young hadn’t done enough in the game, the senior had to add to his record-setting night by hauling in a 28-yard, one-handed touchdown grab. The catch gave Young a career-high 164 receiving yards and pushed the Boise State lead to 44-0.

INTERESTING STAT: Fresno State was shut out for the first time since Pat Hill’s second season as head coach in 1998. The ‘Dogs were shut out by San Diego State 12 years ago.

THIRD QUARTER Boise State 37, Fresno State 0

BREAKDOWN: The Boise State offense used two long, methodical drives to eat up most of the third-quarter clock and virtually solidify its 24th straight victory. The Broncos’ first drive lasted 15 plays, went 43 yards, killed almost eight minutes off the clock and ended in a field goal for the 23-0 lead. After Ryan Colburn was picked off on third down on the ensuing drive, Boise State again took advantage. The Broncos scored off a Austin Pettis touchdown catch to make it 30-0, then extended their lead on the next drive off another Pettis touchdown reception as the lead swelled to 37-0. Through three quarters, the Bulldogs had 80 yards of total offense to Boise State’s 440.

BIG PLAY: On third-and-ten from his own 49-yard line, Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore narrowly avoided a Logan Harrell sack, escaped more pressure and ducked up field for an 11-yard gain to keep the drive alive. The Broncos kicked a field goal seven plays later, but the play showcased exactly why Moore is likely to be a Heisman Trophy finalist. Honorable Mention: Boise State wide receiver took a double reverse pitch and threw his third pass of the year, an under thrown ball caught by Tyler Shoemaker down to the Fresno State six-yard line.

INTERESTING STAT: Through three quarters, Boise State had more scoring drives (six) than Ryan Colburn had completions (five).

SECOND QUARTER Boise State 20, Fresno State 0

BREAKDOWN: Through two quarters, Boise State proved exactly why its defense is easily one of the best units in the country. On the other side of the ball, the Bronco offense picked up some steam in the second quarter, scoring two touchdowns and chewing up over 200 yards. Quarterback Ryan Colburn and Fresno State’s offense, however, looked just about as nonexistent as it has at any point this season. Colburn went just 4-for-14 in the first two quarters for 62 yards. Running back Robbie Rouse’s streak of 100-yard performances looked in severely jeopardy as the sophomore tallied just 30 yards on seven carries in the first half. Boise State scored two touchdowns in the second quarter off a Doug Martin touchdown run and a Kellen Moore deep touchdown pass.

BIG PLAY: Up 10-0, Kellen Moore connected with a wide open Titus Young on a 42-yard scoring strike to give the Broncos a 17-0 lead.

INTERESTING STAT: Fresno State was held scoreless for the first time since losing to No. 10 Wisconsin in Bulldog Stadium in 2008. The Bulldog offense was on the Boise State 35-yard line and 23-yard line in the first half but came away scoreless. Honorable Mention: Boise State receiver Titus Young became the school’s all-time leading receiver and quarterback Kellen Moore became the Broncos’ all-time leading passer in the same quarter. On top of that, Kyle Brotzman’s field goal just before the end of the half made him Boise State’s all-time leading scorer.

FIRST QUARTER Boise State 3, Fresno State 0

BREAKDOWN: The story of the first quarter was Fresno State could not buy a first down. Whatever head coach Pat Hill had drawn up for the opening series didn’t go according to plan as all four of Fresno State’s drives resulted in one first down and just 28 total yards. On the flip side, the Boise State offense looked much in rhythm outside of a tipped-pass interception by safety Phillip Thomas and a reviewed fumble on a backwards pass. The Broncos, after one period of play, had 88 yards of offense and took an early 3-0 lead off Kyle Brotzman’s 20-yard field goal.

BIG PLAY: A couple big plays saved Fresno State. With Boise State driving into scoring position on the Fresno State 25-yard line, Bronco quarterback Kellen Moore’s pass was tipped and intercepted by safety Phillip Thomas. Just more than a minute later, Moore fumbled on a backward pass and was recovered by Logan Harrell. The play was reviewed but ultimately ended up in Fresno State’s hands.

INTERESTING STAT: Boise State’s field goal with 53 second remaining in the first quarter marks the longest it has taken the Broncos to score since a 34-16 win over UC Davis at home last year when they were held scoreless until the second quarter.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• AnonymousNov 20, 2010 at 7:32 am

Well…

• K

KyronLNov 20, 2010 at 5:27 am

Awesome work Ben. Working hard

The cal fan