Four Loko should not be banned

On Wednesday, the state of Washington joined the ranks of three other states banning drinks that contain alcohol and energy boosters. Four Loko, an alcoholic energy drink, was blamed for the alcohol poisoning of nine Washington college students a month ago. One student almost died.

Utah, Oklahoma, Michigan and Washington are the current states shunning the drinks. Central Washington University, the home of the nine students hospitalized, also bans the drinks, along with other campuses including the University of Rhode Island and Ramapo College of New Jersey.

Alcoholic energy drinks are available in California, and Fresno State students can find them as close by as the shelves of 7-Eleven on Shaw and Maple Avenues.

Alcoholic energy drinks, or AEDs, can be dangerous for a number of scientific reasons.

The combination of alcohol’s enhancement of GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter, and caffeine’s dampening of adenosine, also an inhibitory neurotransmitter, gives drinkers an odd combo of an upper and a downer. The caffeine in AEDs mitigates the effect of alcohol, making drinkers feel less intoxicated and capable of drinking more than they normally would.

Both the alcohol and caffeine in AEDs stimulate dopamine levels. The dopamine effect is only increased when alcohol and caffeine are consumed together, and some think this heightened level of dopamine makes AEDs more addictive than a normal beer.

Why are so many calling for bans on these drinks?

The bans are triggered partly because of the drink’s harmful effects, but also because some feel the drink is more appealing to youngsters because of its packaging and taste.

It’s true that the drinks are packaged in bright colors and they come in fruit flavors. However, Four Loko features seven warnings about alcohol on its can in large font.

AEDs come in flavors like fruit punch and lemonade, but coolers like Smirnoff Ice and Mike’s Hard Lemonade are equally sweet. A ban of AEDs on this basis would call other drinks into question as well.

If AEDs are banned completely, college students will continue to drink Jägerbombs, rum and Cokes, Irish coffees and other cocktails made with caffeine. AEDs have about the same amount of alcohol as wine, far less than the hard liquor that goes into energy drink cocktails.

Banning AEDs is not the answer to irresponsible drinking. AEDs are not the problem; the way some people drink them is.

Instead of banning AEDs, college campuses should continue to educate students on responsible drinking. Students and teens need to know the hazards of combining alcohol and caffeine so they can make responsible decisions about drinking, whether it’s Four Loko, a Jägerbomb or some other drink.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Mark ZabzdyrNov 20, 2010 at 12:11 am

Don’t listen to these idiots, I thought it was a good article. Help support our cause.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dont-Ban-4-Loko/167947986559054

• AnonymousNov 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

It’s not about the over drinking… people drink too much all the time, that’s just stupidity and you can’t have a law against that… it’s about the way the ingrediants effect the neurological system… you can have a law against the way things are manufactured.

• AnonymousNov 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

• F

facts.Nov 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm

So are we going to ban all alcohol now? what about people who sit down and drink a bottle of vodka? Do we ban vodka? Anybody can over due any drink, and there is no reason to ban a product. We still have cigarettes on the market, shouldn’t we ban those? Banning Four Loko is just another way to try and prove power over us. These cases where kids and students have died because of the drink is either because they drank too much (which anybody can die of alcohol poisoning with ANY type of alcohol) or because they did something extremely stupid while under the influence (can also happen with any alcohol) If Four Loko continues to be banned, why can’t kids just buy beer & drink those with energy drinks? The reason students and other people drink Four Loko is because they want to get drunk…and they want to do it quickly. Students don’t want to sit around and wait for 7 beers to kick in and pee 100 times before they get out of control, they want a drink with a tolerable flavor that can be drunk in an hour and get them drunk. Students know that Four Lokos contain a considerable amount of caffeine and alcohol- and it’s also labeled on the can. Do you think that college students know nothing about these drinks? You’re absolutely wrong. Parents don’t want to blaim their children for the mistakes they’re making so they blame it on the company. If we ban these drinks, we must also ban everything else that poses a threat to society if over done. Officials say that the can is designed to catch underage students attention with the colors and flavors: News Flash, condoms come in colors and fruity flavors…does that meant hey are targeting to underage kids? I don’t think so. Stop blaming the company, this article is right; we need to educate the students on limits and safety while drinking this product.

Common Fresno State StudentNov 13, 2010 at 9:00 am

“AEDs have about the same amount of alcohol as wine.” Where are your facts for this statement? The other article in this same paper reports that one Four Loko contains the same amount of alcohol as “six standard drinks.” One standard shot of hard liquor, one 12-oz beer, and one standard glass of wine have the same amount of alcohol. If one shot goes into a mixed drink containing hard liquor, it’s the same amount as a glass of wine.

Marko2037Nov 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm

They have an alc/vol of 12% which is nowhere near the amount of six standard drinks (if by drinks you mean cocktails containing spirits)

Marko2037Nov 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm

• E

EdgarvargasescamillaNov 13, 2010 at 4:07 am

People need to be responsible for their own decisions, if they decide to drink a Loko and then to do something stupid, it shouldn’t be blamed upon the company but the people themselves.

areyoukidding?Nov 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm

you write like a second grader.

DeaquipalcieloNov 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

Since when has a warning on a product stop teens from drinking or using a product?