Bulldog Game Day

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Under head coach Pat Hill, the Bulldogs are 35-11 all-time in the month of November.

Hill’s squad has played relatively well down the stretch since suffering its first Western Athletic Conference loss to Hawaii a month ago with dominating wins against New Mexico State, San Jose State and Louisiana Tech.

After being nonexistent to begin the first four games of the season, the traditionally strong rushing attack for Fresno State has finally emerged behind sophomore running back Robbie Rouse.

Rouse is coming off a record-setting day against Louisiana Tech after running wild for 286 yards on a school-record 43 carries. Since recording his first 100-yard rushing effort against New Mexico State, Rouse has exploded for 542 yards and five touchdowns in the past three games.

If Rouse has his fourth-consecutive 100-yard rushing performance, expect Fresno State to control the tempo of the game with Rouse and the ground game. By doing so it’ll keep Nevada’s potent offfense off the field.

Breakdown: Wolf Pack

If the Nevada Wolf Pack has proven anything this season, it’s that its offense is virtually unstoppable.

Nevada makes the five hour drive across the border to Fresno fresh off a 63-17 beat down of Idaho, a game in which the Wolf Pack rolled to 844 yards of total offense. The Pistol attack, lead by senior quarterback Colin Kaepernick, ranks second in the country in rushing yards with 318 per game.

Running back Vai Taua and Kaepernick rank first and fourth respectively in the Western Athletic Conference in rushing yards. Taua is the only player in the WAC over 1,000 yards rushing on the season so far.

In Nevada’s only loss of the season, at Hawaii, it turned the ball over four times and was put in a 17-0 hole to open the game. The margin proved to be enough for Hawaii to hand head coach Chris Ault’s team its only loss of the season.

An area of concern for Nevada has been its sometimes porous defensive secondary, which surrenders 260 yards through the air on average.

Keys to Victory

1. Pick up the flag
With a slew of injuries along the offensive line, it’s time for some underclassmen to step up. Pat Hill’s signature phrase “somebody will pick up the flag” is crucial against a physical Nevada front.

2. Get up early
In Nevada’s only loss this season to Hawaii, the Warriors jumped out to a 17-0 halftime lead. If Fresno State can rock Nevada early, it has a much better chance at pulling off the upset.

3. Limit big plays
Nevada’s offense is explosive, as evident in last week’s 844 total yards on the road at Idaho. The past two matchups have been won via the big play. The Wolf Pack’s pistol offense thrives on big plays.

Matt Weir /Collegian File Photo

Position match-ups

Player to watch:
Logan Harrell, defensive tackle

When Fresno State runs:
Advantage – Even
The Bulldogs’ run game has been on a surge as of late, led by Robbie Rouse. But Nevada’s run defense is second to only Boise State in the WAC, giving up 114 rush yards per game.

When Opponent runs:
Advantage – Nevada
Nevada has the upper hand on most teams with its lethal pistol offense, ranking second in the country in rushing yards per game with 317.

When Fresno State passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
A soft spot this season in Nevada this season has been its defensive secondary. Wolf Pack opponents average 260 yards through the air per gaame

When Opponent passes:
Advantage – Nevada
Colin Kaepernick is a very improved passer, completing nearly 70 percent of his passes. Nevada’s offense uses the run well to set Kaepernick up for big pass plays.

Special teams:
Advantage – Fresno State
We don’t know much about Nevada’s punt game, because they haven’t had to much. But Kevin Goessling gives the ‘Dogs an edge being the WAC’s best place kicker.

Reno: The Biggest Little City in the World

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo

Player to watch: Vai Taua, Running Back

Wins against: Eastern Washington, Colorado State, Cal, BYU, UNLV, San Jose State, Utah State, Idaho

Losses to: Hawaii

Head coach: Chris Ault (26th season, 213-97-1)

Offense: Pistol

Defense: Multiple

Key players: QB Colin Kaepernick, RB Vai Taua, RB Lampford Mark, DE Dontay Moch

Series record: Fresno State leads series 24-15-1

Last meeting: Nevada won 52-14 in Reno

Point Spread: Wolf Pack favored by 8.5 points

$100
$500

$100
$500

ChristianNov 12, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I am scared that Nevada is going to embarrass Fresno State on national Television. 🙁