ASI meeting addresses president

Media, concerned students attend

Matt Weir / The Collegian

After the legal status of Associated Student, Inc. President Pedro Ramirez was revealed by the Collegian on Tuesday, ASI held their bi-weekly meeting on Wednesday filled with media and spectators. A few misconceptions were addressed regarding Ramirez while both supporters and opponents attended the meeting.

Although the meeting discussion consisted of more than just the president’s undocumentation, it still received substantial attention.

Fresno State senior, Neil O’Brien, communicated his disapproval about the legal status of Ramirez, the fairness of the election that gave him the presidency and his acceptance to the university.

“There is a law breaker in that room,” said O’Brien about Ramirez after the meeting. “How is it that somebody who is illegal, who is not allowed to be in the country, is the [student] president of the university?” O’Brien asked.

“Pedro Ramirez did apply as an AB 540 student when he applied to Fresno State,” said University Vice President of Student Affairs Paul M. Oliaro during a Wednesday video interview with The Collegian. “He was admitted with those conditions, and as a result, he has the same opportunities, privileges and rights as any other student which includes being able to run for office.”

In addition, Oliaro said that Ramirez had no obligation to disclose his undocumented status.

Media organizations and other individuals said that Ramirez lied to the university. According to a statement Wednesday by Fresno State President John Welty, “[Ramirez] personally notified me and ASI advisers about his immigration status [after his election win], and volunteered to serve without pay as president.”

Selena Farnesi, ASI executive vice president, expressed her support for Ramirez in a statement Thursday but also wished he would have disclosed more during his campaign.

O’Brien said the reports on the news revealed that he had been “ratted.” In its article, The Fresno Bee stated the anonymous email was sent to several media outlets.

“The Fresno Bee contacted me first,” Pedro Ramirez said to The Collegian’s online reporters. “Then I contacted The Collegian before the Fresno Bee could air the piece because I wanted the students to get the breaking news first even though I heard that [The Collegian] had gotten reports earlier on.”

During an “Ask Pedro” video interview series in September, The Collegian encouraged students to submit questions for the recently elected ASI president to answer about his goals for the position. An anonymous request was received for the online reporter to question Ramirez about his legal status. Since no factual proof or any reason was given to justify asking such a question, The Collegian did not ask him.

“There could be several motives [for the question],” Ramirez said. “Maybe somebody was not as supportive of me, didn’t like me, [or] they wanted me out. Or it could be someone who knew about my position, my status and wanted to use me as an example to push the issue forward,” he said.

But President Welty supports Ramirez as ASI president.

“I commend [him] and other AB 540 students who are following state statute as they seek higher education.”

O’Brien questioned the result of the election that put Ramirez in office.

“We are talking about somebody that shouldn’t be running for president because he shouldn’t be here.”

“I haven’t broken any of the CSU’s laws,” Ramirez said in his defense. “I haven’t broken any of the ASI bylaws. I ran on a platform that students overwhelmingly supported. They elected…me not on my citizenship status.”

Other outlets have interviewed students that want Ramirez to be removed.

“If the students see that my qualifications should be based upon my citizenship and not my objectives and goals of what I can accomplish, then I would let them decide,” Pedro said.

“Numerous things have been legal in the past that are not ethical,” said Fresno State student Matt Ford. “Racism, genocide against Native Americans, genocide in Nazi Germany, torture apparently is legal now, none of these things are ethical, so I think we should start viewing these issues in an ethical light.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

Smokey BehrNov 20, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Here’s the law. You will notice that there is no age limit on it.

8 USC 1325. Improper entry by alien

(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts

Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.”

Section 2 of the ASI Code of Conduct specifically states that “Members must respect and obey all lawful authority…” and that “Members must not engage in conduct that involves dishonesty, intentional deception, [or] misrepresentation… ” President Ramirez hasn’t just broken, but has completely shattered this section.

Let me (hopefully not) be the first to call for the resignation of President Ramirez, and for him to immediately surrender to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement office, either here in Fresno, or the District office in San Francisco, for immediate deportation to his country of origin. Let me also call for all of the other illegal alien students on campus to also surrender or self-deport immediately, and free up additional spots for US Citizens and LAWFULLY admitted aliens.

• AnonymousNov 20, 2010 at 2:35 am

Matt Ford’s comments are just a tad on the hyperbolic side.

• AnonymousNov 20, 2010 at 7:52 am

I would disagree with you on that, but I would like to know why you believe so. I think his point was to make us examine the ethics behind this issue. Would you say that Pedro has done anything unethical, considering the fact that he was brought here as a child and has known no other place to call home? More than likely, he does not have citizenship in any country and even if he did, wouldn’t it be unethical to send him off to another country based on a decision that he had no control over?

• AnonymousNov 19, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Really Rob_A2011? I don’t think that it is a little bit of a stretch to say that “…all lawful authority” is a little bit vague, if that type of argument is going to be used for his removal you’re going to have to re-write the bylaws first.

I’m afraid that this will just end up being a game of kick the political football and of course there will be much ado about it.

• AnonymousNov 20, 2010 at 4:14 am

It’s not a stretch by any means. Breaking federal immigration law is clearly not respecting or obeying the lawful authority of the federal government.

• AnonymousNov 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Ramirez states he hasn’t broken any of the ASI bylaws. Apparently he hasn’t read section two of the ASI Code of Conduct 0n page 68 of the bylaws. It begins with the line “Members must respect and obey all lawful authority”. Either he is dishonest or is not familiar with the ASI code of conduct.

http://asi.csufresno.edu/images/asibylawsandpoliciesaugust2010-1.pdf

• AnonymousNov 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

• AnonymousNov 19, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Much ado about nothing!

• AnonymousNov 19, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Much ado about nothing!