‘Dogs, Rouse grind out road win

Stefan Armijo /The Spartan Daily

Ryan Mathews never ran for as many yards, and Dwayne Wright never carried the football as often as running back Robbie Rouse did for an entire game on Saturday.

Against Louisiana Tech, Rouse delivered his most impressive performance to date after carrying the ball for a school-record 43 times for 286 yards and a touchdown as Fresno State (6-2, 4-1) won its third-straight game with a 40-34 victory over Louisiana Tech (3-6, 2-3) at Joe Aillet Stadium in Ruston, La.

“I’m very happy we got a win on the road,” head coach Pat Hill said in a press release. “This is a tough place to play, but we’re going to have to improve a lot before Nevada.”

Behind Rouse’s 28 carry, 245-yard second-half explosion, and quarterback Ryan Colburn’s 229 yards passing and three touchdown tosses to receiver Jamel Hamler, the Bulldogs were able to overcome a 14-0 deficit early in the first quarter to outscore Louisiana Tech 40-20 in the final three-and-a-half quarters.

Facing a stifling Louisiana Tech defense, the Fresno State offense was able to muster only 10 points in the first half with a 6-yard touchdown pass from Colburn to Hamler in the first quarter, and a 49-yard Kevin Goessling field goal in the second quarter to cut Louisiana Tech’s first-half lead to 14-10.

After consecutive three-and-outs by both offenses to begin the third quarter, Rouse took over and stole the show. On the ‘Dogs second offensive series of the second half, Rouse took a handoff and darted 60 yards to the Louisiana Tech 10-yard line to set up a Fresno State touchdown just one play later. Colburn would connect with Hamler on a slant pattern for a 10-yard touchdown strike to give the ‘Dogs its first lead of the afternoon, 17-14.

But Louisiana Tech would answer three possessions later with a five-play, 56-yard march, capped off by quarterback Ross Jenkins’ touchdown pass to a streaking and wide open Taulib Ikharo in the end zone to regain the lead, 21-17.

After penalties stalled Fresno State’s next offensive drive, punter Andrew Shapiro shanked his fourth punt of the game 24 yards out of bounds.

Then Fresno State’s special teams prowess peaked after the defense forced its sixth three-and-out of the game. On 4th-and-5 from the Louisiana Tech 30-yard line, fullback Austin Raphael bulldozed his way past blockers to record the first blocked punt of his career.

After the momentum-changing special teams play, the Fresno State offense would reel off 17-straight unanswered points, led by Colburn’s two scores: a 1-yard plunge into the end zone and a 33-yard touchdown lob to Hamler. Goessling would tack on a field goal in between to extend the ‘Dogs lead to 33-21.

But Phillip Livas would keep the game interesting for Louisiana Tech with a 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to narrow the Fresno State lead to 33-28.

With momentum on Louisiana Tech’s side, the Tech defense forced another Fresno State punt with 3:06 left to play in the final quarter.

Louisiana Tech would get the chance to go for the go-ahead score, but on second down, cornerback Desia Dunn intercepted a deep overthrown pass by Jenkins that all but ended Louisiana Tech’s chance of a comeback.

On the very next play, Rouse would add onto his record-setting day with a 51-yard sprint for a touchdown, cushioning Fresno State’s lead, 40-28.

Rouse was nine yards shy of Fresno State’s all-time 295-yard single-game rushing record set by Wright in 2006 against Louisiana Tech.

“We have a lot of work to do, but we’re looking forward to getting home and going to work but its better to have a win under your belt instead of anything else,” Hill said. “We just have to win in November.”

Fresno State will return home Saturday after back-to-back road games to host No. 21 Nevada (8-1, 3-1) at Bulldog Stadium at 7:30 p.m.