Students rally for higher education

Student representatives from 20 of the 23 California State University (CSU) campuses gathered on the steps of the Joyal Administration Building this morning to support the funding of higher education before the Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman debate.

California State Student Association (CSSA) President Chris Chavez came from Cal State Long Beach with his car full of Cal State Fullerton students to stress the importance of higher education.

The CSSA maintains and enhances access to affordable and quality education for students attending a CSU.

“California is approaching new governorship,” said Chavez. “We are trying to get students mobilized and interested in the debate.”

Chavez is expecting about 100 students from the CSU, UC and community college campuses.

The representatives were also one of the­groups who congregated outside the UC Davis Mondavi Center for the Sept. 28, 2010 debate.

“There were a number of other protestors at UC Davis,” said Chavez. “We were one of many, but I think we had a very peaceful and logical rally compared to some of the partisan supporters.”

CSSA Executive Director Miles Nevin said higher education was skimmed over by the two candidates at UC Davis.

On March 14, 2010, both Chavez and Nevin will take part in a statewide march in Sacramento in support of campuses across California.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Miles J NevinOct 4, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I’d like to reiterate that the CSSA rally, planned in conjunction with the Campaign for College Opportunity and the Student Senate for California Community Colleges, was completely nonpartisan. The goal was to rally behind support for public higher education and specifically, the need for 1 million more college grads by 2025. The photo in this article represents some of the partisan supporters of the gubernatorial candidates, who were not involved with our rally.

THartOct 3, 2010 at 1:26 am

Re: Sat’s debate: I would like to know what the candidates for governor of the state of California are ACTUALLY saying. I am an ENGLISH ONLY speaker & as a citizen on the US since 1984, I am extremely incensed that I do not have access to this gubernatorial debate on my basic cable TV. I consider this instance to be a degradation of MY RIGHTS OF CITIZENSHIP & DEMAND an explanation as to why provisions were not put in place to allow for a translation into English. I am Comcast customer in addition to being a citizen & wonder if Comcast has some polictical reason for not ensuring English speaker could understand the debate. A CITIZEN IN SACRAMENTO