Prop 20: Congressional redistricting

SUMMARY

Removes elected representatives from process of establishing congressional districts and transfers that authority to recently-authorized 14-member redistricting commission comprised of Democrats, Republicans, and respresentatives of neither party.

Fiscal Impact:

No significant net change in state redistricting costs.

WHAT YOUR VOTE MEANS

A YES vote on this measure means:

The responsibility to determine the boundaries of California’s districts in the U.S. House of Representatives would be moved to the Citizens Redistricting Commission, a commission established by Proposition 11­in 2008. (Proposition 27­on this ballot also concerns redistricting issues. If both Proposition 20­and Proposition 27­are approved by voters, the proposition receiving the greater number of “yes” votes would be the only one to go into effect.)

A NO vote on this measure means:

The responsibility to determine the boundaries of California’s districts in the U.S. House of Representatives would remain with the Legislature.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION VISIT

www.Yes20.org and www.NoProp20.org

Official voter information guide ­courtesy of the Secretary of State web site.
To find out how and where to vote call (800) 345-VOTE or visit­www.sos.ca.gov.

$100
$500

$100
$500

AmandaOct 31, 2010 at 4:23 am

President Obama, on the Daily show, identified fixing the manner of drawing districts to be “safe districts” as one of the two structural changes that need to be made to our political rules. Prop 20 makes that change. The Independent Citizen’s Commission would draw districts in an open process rather than self interested politicians drawing safe districts behind closed doors. Over 50 newspapers (including the LA Times, Fresno Bee and Bakersfield Californian) say vote YES on 20.