Parking lot trash continues to be a problem

Michael Mygind / The Collegian

Finding on-campus parking can often be a daunting task, except in one spot. Located on the southwest side of Fresno State’s campus, just west of the University Courtyard dorms is a parking lot that often has many open spaces, as well as an abundance of garbage littering in the aisles and gutters.

This lot has had a consistent history of litter throughout the years. But the question remains, who is in charge of picking up the parking lot trash?

“It’s the campus’ responsibility, we just help out every now and then,” said Patrick McKinney, Facilities Coordinator of University Courtyard. “I think it’s everybody’s responsibility to maintain a clean campus.”

McKinney said that street sweepers could be used to clean the lot, but it’s difficult with the lot full of parked cars. So, the lot’s cleanliness seems to be left up to the morals and actions of students.

The act of parking and rushing to class may leave some oblivious to the trash they are passing by. A lot of students usually run to class so they don’t notice the garbage beneath their feet.

“I really haven’t noticed it,” said Guhue Moua, criminology major.

Child development major Leena Vuong said that it’s the students’ responsibility alone to keep all of the parking lots clean.

“We are out here more often and we park here, so we should help,” Vuong said.

Trash cans are present in the lot, but they are arranged unevenly. In the back of the lot, there are about eight cans. In the center, there are about three cans and there are at least twelve in the front of the lot. By the time that students reach the majority of the cans, they have already dropped their waste on the ground.

“I wouldn’t park and throw my trash out there,” McKinney said.

The lot’s aisles have trash that has been so flattened and ravaged by traffic that it blends into the asphalt. Littered objects range from bottles, cans, fast food bags and cigarette packs to the obscure, such as T-shirts, broken sun glasses, a whiskey bottle and even a plastic tool box. Such items could be serious hazards for the traffic going through the lot.

Next time you’re in a parking lot on campus and see trash, remember the campus is our home away from home and it should be treated with care.