NMSU vs Fresno State in-game tidbits

Mike Howells / The Collegian

FOURTH QUARTER

BREAKDOWN: The ‘Dogs played it conservative while the Aggies played for pride. Head coach Pat Hill gave New Mexico State a steady dose of the run game, and quarterback Ryan Colburn attempted just XX pass in the final 15 minutes. Kevin Goessling got the Bulldogs on the board on Fresno State’s first drive, and New Mexico State answered back with a 19-yard touchdown run. Fresno State advanced to 4-2 (2-1) and New Mexico State dropped to 1-5 (0-2). Robbie Rouse finished the game with 150 yards on 16 carries, the first 100 yard game of his career.

BIG PLAY: Fresno State kicker Kevin Goessling’s 47-yard field goal made him a perfect 5-for-5 in WAC play this season, and was his second-longest of the season.

INTERESTING STAT: New Mexico State’s scoring run with 7:44 remaining in the contest was its first touchdown against Fresno State since the Aggies last visited Bulldog Stadium in 2008. Honorable Mention: Fresno State’s three points in the third and fourth quarters is the lowest it has scored in a second half since a road loss at Nevada last season.

THIRD QUARTER

BREAKDOWN: The third quarter proved to be a defensive stailmate. The Bulldogs were forced to punt on all three of their third-quarter possessions, and the Aggies punted twice and fumbled once. Chris Carter has looked like the most explosive Bulldog throughout the game with three sacks, including two in the third quarter.

BIG PLAY: Fresno State defensive end Chris Carter halted New Mexico State’s final drive of the third quarter with his third sack of the game. Carter forced a fumble, which was recovered by Chase McEntee at the Aggie 48-yard line.

INTERESTING STAT: Despite Fresno State handedly out gaining New Mexico State in the first half, the Aggies offense prevailed in the third quarter. While neither team was overly impressive in the quarter, New Mexico State posted 72 yards to Fresno State’s 54.

Brandon Ocegueda / The Collegian

SECOND QUARTER

BREAKDOWN: Fresno State picked up where it left off in the first quarter, reeling off 14 second-quarter points to take a 30-3 halftime lead. Robbie Rouse darted in from 38 yards out to open the second-quarter scoring, and Ryan Colburn threw a three-yard touchdown pass to Tapa Taumoepeau just before halftime. The Bulldogs have racked up 258 yards through two quarters, including 183 on the ground. New Mexico State was in Fresno State territory three times in the first half, but only mustered a 24-yard field goal in the first quarter.

BIG PLAY: Ryan Colburn, who finished the first half six-for-eight passing with 75 yards, found Jalen Saunders on a 43-yard strike down to the Aggie three-yard line. Saunders’ spectacular grab was followed by a Colburn-to-Tapa Taumoepeau touchdown the very next play, putting the ‘Dogs up 30-3.

INTERESTING STAT: Robbie Rouse’s 128 rushing yards at halftime makes him only the second Bulldog to surpass the century mark this season. It also marks his first time eclipsing 100 yards in his young Fresno State career, after seeing limited action last season behind Ryan Mathews.

FIRST QUARTER

BREAKDOWN: New Mexico State’s run defense came in ranked dead last in the WAC, while Fresno State’s run offense has been mediocre for much of the season. The ‘Dogs won the head-to-head battle in the first quarter when Robbie Rouse ripped off 57-yard touchdown on the second play from scrimmage. Fresno State scored again off Isaiah Burse’s double-reverse touchdown from 30 yards out. The Bulldog defense tacked on a first-quarter safety as well.

BIG PLAY: Rouse’s 57-yard burst up the middle is Fresno State’s longest of the season, and the sophomore’s first touchdown in 2010.

INTERESTING STAT: Fresno State posted 16 first-quarter points, the most since last season’s game at Idaho in which the ‘Dogs scored 17 in the opening period.