How to party on Halloween

Photo graphic by Michael Uribes / The Collegian

Fresno State students experienced what it felt like to be drunk at Fall Harvest Fest 2010 on campus last Wednesday.

Along with several other attractions and activities, the festival had a Haunted Maze that involved students wearing “drunk goggles.”

The goggles are actually called fatal goggles, according to Fresno State Police Officer Addison Lee, and they simulate the feeling of being under the influence of alcohol.

He said he has tried them himself and that they are highly comparable to actually being intoxicated.

“It doesn’t matter how much practice you have,” said Lee. “The fatal goggles will always do their job.”

Other students had a difficult time moving around with the goggles on.

“They were like drunk-to-the-max goggles…like I couldn’t even walk,” said a maze participant Christina Narayan, 18.

Narayan and her friend Sara Wilson, 18, had to sign consent forms before wearing the goggles and entering the maze.

“I was getting dizzy,” said Wilson, “It was fun.”

The festival is put on by students, for students, and is always in the second to the last week of October in support of National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week.

The Alcahol Safety Council Student Subcomittee (A.S.C.S.S.) is a student run organization that promotes alcohol safety and awareness on campus.

They do this through organizing numerous events as well as the Stall Seat Journals in the restrooms on campus, and posters containing student statistics such as “seven out of 10 Fresno State students consume zero to three drinks, if at all.”

The Student Coordinator for A.S.C.S.S., Cayella Castaneda said the statistics they use come from doing surveys on randomly selected students.

Castaneda said she was very excited to have such an amazing turnout with Fall Harvest Fest 2010, where they can raise awareness and have fun at the same time.

“We want college students to know how to party and be safe,” said Castaneda.

According to a flyer from the Alcohol Safety Council, moderation is the key to having fun and “getting a good buzz” without getting a hangover, or worse, alcohol poisoning.

Coordinator of Health Promotion and Vice Chair of Alcohol Safety Council Kathy Yarmo also participated in the festival and said it is important for students to have the skills they need to be safe.

“The reality is that some of our Fresno State students do party…we want to make sure they do it safely,” said Yarmo.

Some tips for partying safely on Halloween (and always):

1. Always have a designated driver.
2. If not a designated driver, there are resources available such as calling a cab or using one of the new local services like We Be Sober or Zingo that will come to you and get you and your car home safely.
3. Eat before you party. Do not drink on an empty stomach.
4. Set a limit and pace yourself. Have only only having one drink an hour
5. And the most important message: ALWAYS PLAN AHEAD.

For more tips on how to party safe and information on alcohol, you can visit the Wellness Lounge located on the bottom floor of the University Student Union or go to the Health Center.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

KPBPNov 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

GREAT ARTICLE, WELL WRITTEN…sounds like a fun and educational experiment!

AperfectfaceNov 4, 2010 at 6:08 pm

It concerns me that Sara stated “feeling dizzy” was fun. I believe eating before drinking is one of the best tips out there!

dale kids party entertainerNov 1, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Everyone can have a good party. Just moderation is the key.