Fresno State hosts second gubernatorial debate

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Saturday’s historical gubernatorial debate, the first to be broadcast in Spanish, only furthered the tension in the race between Republican nominee Meg Whitman and Democratic pick Jerry Brown, a race already riddled with hostility.

During the debate, Brown accused Whitman of defaming the character of her former housekeeper Nicky Diaz, an undocumented employee from Mexico. News of the former eBay executive hiring an illegal immigrant caused a stir among Brown’s campaign and supporters.

The Whitman housekeeper scandal was just one of many at the debate, including higher education, the water crisis and border control. While both candidates expressed their stances on restoring funding to public education, many students felt neither candidate took a strong enough stand.

“They need to make their plans more specific,” said Los Angeles Community College student Stephanie Romero.

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Despite audio system difficulties and tough questions from students, the debate met with approval in the eyes of school administrators.

“I thought it was an excellent debate,” John Welty, President of Fresno State. “I thought the responses were clear and did articulate the difference between the candidates.”

The debate was hosted in the Satellite Student Union on the Fresno State campus and is broadcast exclusively by Univision, the Spanish-language news channel. The debate will air at 4 p.m. after the candidate’s answers are translated into Spanish.

$100
$500

$100
$500

DevOct 28, 2010 at 1:08 am

Was there something about this mysterious debate that would lead the hosts (university and TV station) not to post full video? The full videos of the first and third gubernatorial debates are both available online. For web sites that are not geared up to host video on demand, it is easy enough to upload video to YouTube, Dailymotion, etc. I would think something as weighty as a debate for governor of California would merit making the video of the event available to voters.

• G

Glri325Oct 3, 2010 at 12:06 am

What a disservice to the english-speaking citizens of California.
    Univision could not satisfy the demands for english-only audio streaming – I tried logging on to their various web sites multiple times and could not get access !

WHAT ABOUT the second audio channel in ENGLISH morons !!

I WAS voting for Jerry – but, as of this moment count me in the Meg camp!!!!!!!!!!

MinkOct 3, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I was able t download both English and Spanish versions. Try again. ..And what a dumb reason to switch camps. I’m not exactly in love with Jerry Brown but Meg is such a fascist I feel its vital to vote against her.

AnonymousCowardOct 6, 2010 at 1:19 am

Where did you find a link to download the debate?

AnonymousCowardOct 6, 2010 at 1:19 am

ThewellfedartistsOct 6, 2010 at 1:23 am

oh my god where did you download it?! i’ve been looking everywhere. all i saw on univision were clips. please help!!!

ThewellfedartistsOct 6, 2010 at 1:23 am

• I

Innocent BystanderOct 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm

What a better reason to vote against her. She must be a fascist because someone told you so. I think the word you’re looking for is Innovator with different ideas than just more taxes (isn’t socialism a type of fascism?)