Fresno Big Read preps for Halloween

Organization to feature works of Edgar Allan Poe

Since Halloween is right around the corner, it seems appropriate that Edgar Allan Poe’s books live on. And with the help of the Big Read and the Fresno County Library, the ghouls, ghosts, ravens and specters will come alive once again through the end of the month.

Some of Poe’s most popular stories, including “The Raven” and “The Pit and The Pendulum” along with other works that ran shivers up our spines, will be honored and brought to life in vivid detail.

The Fresno County Public Library, along with sponsors such as The Fresno Bee and Arte Americas, are paying tribute to Edgar Allan Poe, the longtime master of macabre and horror as part of the Big Read symposium.

A number of special events are scheduled at different locations throughout the San Joaquin Valley during the months of October and November. They are designed to raise appreciation for Poe’s works, and they also tie in with the themes of his stories.

Roberta Barton, the public information officer for the Fresno County Library, said that is one of the main goals of the Big Read.

“One of the things we try to do is tie in to the theme of the book,” she said. “We thought this would offer a lot of creative opportunities.”

One of the signature events that is sure to tantalize is the Poe Read-A-Thon. For 13 hours local celebrities and volunteers will take turns reading some of his most popular works.

In a one-man show called an Evening With Edgar Allan Poe, actor Duffy Hudson will portray the life of the legendary author. This event in particular is expected to be one of the most popular attractions.

In addition to these events, participants can also take part in book discussions, screenings of movies based on Poe’s most popular works and ghost hunts and walks.

All of these festivities are part of a national symposium called the Big Read. Established in 2006 by a grant from the National Endowment For The Arts, the Big Read is designed to revitalize the role of reading in American culture.

In addition to showcasing some of the classics, the Big Read also encourages a lot of community involvement and raises awareness of the importance of libraries.

“The best part of the Big Read is the people coming together,” said Jean Johnson of the Fresno County Library. “It brings people from different cultures and ages.”

Kathy Milne, a librarian at the Woodward Park Regional library, feels that the Big Read is vital to the appreciation of literature. “We’re trying to get more people into the libraries,” she said. “It’s a community center.”

The event usually features one piece of literature a year. However, coordinators of the event decided to hold one in the spring, and the other in the fall this year.

The Fresno County Library posted a calendar of all the events scheduled for October and November on its website.