‘Dogs pick up third win, 38-17

Isaiah Burse blocks a punt in the second quarter that the 'Dogs recovered in the end zone for a touchdown. Matt Weir/The Collegian

Final

With the red wave rolling at Bulldog Stadium, the Fresno State football team rebounded from last week’s road loss to defeat Cal Poly at home.

Score: 38-17

The story: It was an up and down performance for the ‘Dogs during Fiesta night. Despite committing three turnovers, Ryan Colburn and the Fresno State offense was able to overcome it’s early-game mistakes to trounce the Cal Poly Mustangs 38-17.

Colburn passed for 206 yards and two touchdown and Tracy Slocum led all Bulldog running backs with 71 yards rushing and a touchdown.

The Bulldog defense was dominant at home once again holding the Cal Poly offense to just 17 points. Defensive tackle Logan Harrell collected two sacks and the Bulldog defense held the Mustangs scoreless for the entire second half after giving up 17 points through the the first two quarters.

3rd Quarter

Score: 31-17

The story so far: The pace of the game has slowed down in the third quarter. After making many mental mistakes on the offensive side of the ball, Colburn and the ‘Dogs have taken control of the game.

On their first possesion following halftime, the ‘Dogs marched downfield and added a 30-yard Kevin Goessling field goal. Sophomore running back Michael Harris provided the much needed spark for the rushing attack running for 41 yards on four carries. Robbie Rouse punched it from nine yards out to extend the ‘Dogs lead to 31-17.

The defense is starting to figure out how to slow down the Mustang’s offense after forcing two straight three-and-outs in the 3rd quarter.

Halftime

The Bulldogs are shooting themselves in the foot after fumbling the ball away twice to the Mustangs in the second quarter. Cal Poly has scored 10 unanswered points to end the first half.

2nd Quarter

Score: 21-17

The story so far: After pinning the Mustangs inside their own 5-yard line by an Andrew Shapiro punt, the ‘Dogs forced a quick three-and-out and blocked the Mustangs’ punt on the very next play. Cornerback Desia Dunn recovered the ball in the back of end zone for the third touchdown of the day. The touchdown is Dunn’s first ever as a Bulldog. On defense, the ‘Dogs have been flying to the ball after stopping Cal Poly’s triple offense to three three-and-outs in the second quarter alone, but Cal Poly responded ­by marching 73 ­yards downfield on 11 plays, capped off by an Andre Broadus 10-yard touchdown pass.

Offensively, the ‘Dogs have been flat since their two quick scoring strikes in the first quarter. On the very next possession following the Broadus touchdown pass, Tracy Slocum fumbled the exchange from Ryan Colburn to set up a Mustangs touchdown at the one. Cal Poly’s Mark Rodgers punched it in. On the first play of the very next Fresno State drive, Colburn fumbled the ball away after getting sacked. Cal Poly fell on it and kneeled to end first half play.

Cal Poly (3-1) at Fresno State (2-1)

The honorary captains for tonight’s game against Cal Poly are offensive guard Devan Cunningham, nose tackle Mark Roberts and defensive end Chris Lewis.

Cunningham, Lewis and Roberts are seniors.

Fresno State won the coin toss and chose to receive.

1st Quarter

Score: 14-3

The story so far: The Bulldogs are off to a fast start after stalling on the first drive. Cal Poly intercepted a Ryan Colburn pass deep in their own territory. The ‘Dogs responded to the score in two plays, Colburn connected with true freshman receiver Isaiah Burse for a 58-yard touchdown pass. The Fresno State defense forced a three-and-out on the next drive and three plays later senior tailback Tracy Slocum ran for a touchdown from 16 yards out.