Colburn will carry ‘Dogs tonight

Last season, quarterback Ryan Colburn lived off of the play action pass throwing for 2,459 yards and 19 touchdowns. But with the running game failing to take off like most expected, Colburn has been relied upon to carry the offense this season with his left arm.

With running back sensation Ryan Mathews carrying the rock for Fresno State last year, Bulldogs coach Pat Hill was able to bring the first-year starter along slowly. ­But with a year of starting experience under his belt, Colburn is ready for a larger role, especially if the rushing attack fails to generate any yardage against Hawaii. If so, Hill should let Colburn loose and allow the senior quarterback to attack the secondary.

The offensive line has proven it can handle opponents’ pass rush, allowing only nine sacks through four games, so its only fitting that Colburn should get more attempts throwing the ball.

Injuries have decimated the backfield this year with each running back missing at least some time this season. Starter Robbie Rouse missed one game and has played at less than 100 percent in three games while leading rusher A.J. Ellis is expected to be out until at least the end of the month. Backups Tracy Slocum and Michael Harris have flashed Fresno State’s traditional tough running style this year, but both players have missed time due to nagging injuries in the preseason.

If the injury woes continue to hurt the Bulldog backfield, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Colburn air it out at least 25-35 times a game.

On average, the Hawaii defense gives up more than 185 yards rushing on the ground, so the ‘Dogs shouldn’t have a hard time establishing the run, but if it does expect Hill to pass the ball on at least 60 percent of the snaps. If the running game fails to gain any yards out of its base offense against Hawaii, fans will probably see more snaps from the Wildcat position to generate yardage on the ground.