Bulldog Game Day

Mike Howells / The Collegian

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Coming off an embarrassing defeat to Hawaii, the Fresno State Bulldogs look to rebound this week as they face another Western Athletic Conference rival in New Mexico State.

In order to bounce back this week, the Bulldogs must whip their defense back into shape and not allow big plays to happen through the air.

After scoring a season-low 27 points against Hawaii, the Dogs’ playmakers—quarterbackk Ryan Colburn, wide receiver Jamal Hamler and running back Robbie Rouse— must find their offensive rhythm and regain their potent scoring touch if they have any hope of coming up victorious in their game against the Aggies.

Look for big plays to open in the middle of the field for the ground game as the ‘Dogs will be constantly attacking NMSU with short passing routes on the outside.

In addition, the Bulldogs defense will come out pumped up and ready to defend their home turf with a lot of intensity.

Breakdown: Aggies

After beating in-state rival New Mexico 16-14 and collecting their first win of the season, New Mexico State will look to build on their success as they take on the Bulldogs this weekend at Bulldog Stadium.

New Mexico State opened the season on a four-game losing streak by a combined score of 125-47, but the Aggies will hope to improve on their offensive struggles and beat the ‘Dogs who are reeling from last week’s defeat.

New Mexico State will have to bring more firepower in both the ground and air game if they hope to keep up with Fresno State. Defensively, the Aggies’ defense is led by free safety Donyae Coleman who is third in the WAC in tackles.

This Saturday’s game will be interesting to watch as New Mexico State has had decent success against heavily favored opponents in the past, and will look to ride the momentum of last week’s win to victory against Fresno State.

From the desert to the Valley: Getting to know the Aggies

Associated Press File

Player to watch: Donyae Coleman, free safety

Wins against: New Mexico

Losses to: San Diego State, UTEP, Kansas, Boise State

Head coach: DeWayne Walker (second year, 4-14)

Offense: Multiple

Defense: 4-3

Key players: FS Donyae Coleman, WR Marcus Allen, WR Taveon Rogers

Series record: Fresno State leads 16-0

Last meeting: Fresno State won 34-3 in Las Cruces

Point Spread: Bulldogs favored by 31 points

Keys to Victory

1. Create turnovers
On the season, the defense is last in the WAC in forcing turnovers with four. The ‘Dogs need to be able to create more takeaways.

2. Establish the run
Outside of the Utah State game, the ‘Dogs have failed to control the tempo of the game with their rushing attack. The ‘Dogs should have no trouble running the ball against New Mexico State’s weak defense.

3. Ryan Colburn needs to rebound
Colburn needs to put last week’s bad performance behind him and bounce back against the Aggies.

Position match-ups

Player to watch:
Michael Harris, running back

When Fresno State runs:
Advantage – Fresno State
The ‘Dogs are coming off a mediocre game on the ground in last week’s loss to Hawaii. Expect Hill to try and generate some production against New Mexico State’s run defense, which gives up an average of 228 yards rushing per game.

When New Mexico State runs:
Advantage – Even
Neither team has proven much of anything in this category this season. Both rank around the middle of the pack in run offense and run defense, respectively.

When Fresno State passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
Ryan Colburn was off last week, but the senior is still one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the WAC. With Rashad Evans and Jamel Hamler back at full speed, Colburn could return to his big numbers.

When New Mexico State passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
The Aggies have shuffled between three different quarterbacks this season, and Fresno State’s pass defense ranks in the top half in the WAC.

Special teams:
Advantage – Fresno State
Although the Aggies are ranked first in the conference in kickoff return average, Fresno State’s overall special teams overshadows New Mexico State. Kicker Kevin Goessling proved reliable last week with two field goals, and Jalen Saunders is emerging as an elite kick return threat.