Vampire phenomenon has fans thirsty for immortality

“Twilight,” “True Blood” and “The Vampire Diaries” are three vampire series that are currently capturing our generation’s attention with blood, romance and vengeance.

The superstitions of blood sucking vampires began hundreds of years ago, but why did this obsession with immortality start?

English professor Lisa Weston thinks the craze revolves around two things: Sex and death.

“Both sex and death continue to be subjects associated with our deepest and darkest desires,” Weston said. “Both are consequently hedged about with fear, awe and fascination.”

From “Dracula” to “Interview with a Vampire” and “Queen of the Damned,” vampires have been a part of the film and book industries for decades.
Psychology major Corey McPhetridge said the first vampire movie she recalls watching was “Interview with a Vampire” in 1994.

“I think it could have something to do with vampires being immortal and because they are typically portrayed as being very lustful creatures,” McPhetridge said.

Society and the media go through phases rather quickly, but the vampire phenomenon still hasn’t passed after several years. Vampire novels have leaped their way onto the big screen with box office hits like “Twilight,” “New Moon” and “Eclipse.”

Weston said it’s important for fans to know the difference between folk beliefs in vampires and the literary and film traditions of vampires.

“Folk beliefs presume the reality of vampires,” Weston said. “The literary and film traditions depend on us knowing that vampires aren’t real and being willing to suspend that knowledge in the interests of the pleasure and fear.”

Some believe that the vampire fixation will fade once the movie portion of Stephenie Meyer’s “Twilight” saga ends in 2012. “Breaking Dawn,” the fourth and final book in the “Twilight” saga, is planning to be released in two movie parts. “Breaking Dawn, Part One” will hit theaters in November 2011 and “Breaking Dawn, Part Two” will be released in November 2012.

“I think the craze will die once the Twilight movies are over,” said theatre major Rebecca Coffey.

The “Twilight” saga has grossed an estimated $1,789,551,797 worldwide and has the potential to double its gross with the final two movies in production. However, some people believe the fixation will continue even after the movies conclude.

“I think the vampire craze has been with us from day one of humanity,” McPhetridge said. “I think it’s going to stay with us forever.”