The Wellness Lounge launches with success

Janessa Tyler / The Collegian

Health services on campus nowadays go beyond getting a Band-Aid and Tylenol. The services offered at the Student Health Center stretch to meet the needs of students so they can have a great academic year and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.

Their services range from physical exams and counseling to wart removal. The health center is also stocked with a pharmacy where students can receive prescriptions and over-the-counter medications.

The Health Promotion and Wellness Services started The Wellness Lounge three semesters ago in order for students to learn about the countless services available through the health center.

Coordinator for Health Promotion and Wellness Services Kathy Yarmo said the services focus primarily on education.

“The Wellness Lounge basically is a satellite of the health center,” Yarmo said. “It focuses on health promotion and wellness.”

The Wellness Lounge opened its doors on Sept. 13 and is located on the bottom level of the University Student Union (USU).

Colorful balloons decorated the doorway and rainbow lanterns hung from the ceiling on its opening day. Sugar free punch, bananas, trail mix and granola bars were free to guests, as well as condoms wrapped in a red paper stating “no glove, no love.”

Physical Therapy Hour will kickoff Monday mornings starting next week. Blood pressure screenings started yesterday and will continue every Tuesday afternoon.

Wellness Wednesdays will start “hump day” off with a bang, followed by Nutrition Hour and Career Café. The Career Center will be hosting the Career Café every Wednesday afternoon.

“We have a career coach that will come in and look at peoples’ résumés,” Yarmo said. “There’s different aspects of wellness, and occupational wellness is one of them.”

Alcohol safety is another major aspect of wellness. The Wellness Lounge is the place to go if you have questions or concerns about how much and when to drink. Thursdays at noon will be dedicated to Happy Hour when students can play Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution.

“Students can come in and play the interactive games and get information on partying safely,” Yarmo said.

Student Coordinator for the Alcohol Education Project Cayella Castaneda said their main goal is to get students more informed about alcohol safety and give them tips on how to moderate their drinking.

“Our main message is that we want students to party and have fun, but to do it safely,” Castaneda said.

Castaneda said Fall Harvest Fest is coming up Oct. 20 to celebrate National Alcohol Collegiate Awareness Week and Fresno State’s centennial celebration.

Wellness Student Coordinator Georgianna Negron said The Wellness Lounge spotlighted stress management in the past two semesters because it was, and still is, a top factor that interferes with academic performance among students.

“We focus on these specific issues so that students can get more help,” Negron said.

The Wellness Lounge is open for the remainder of the fall semester. Doors will be open every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Yarmo said students who have questions or concerns are welcome to come to the health center after The Wellness Lounge hours.

“We’re hoping that all of this will encourage students to utilize the services at the health center.”