The Collegian’s Heisman Watch

The sports editors and editor-in-chief take on the preseason Heisman hype.
Vongni Yang

CO-SPORTS EDITOR
1. Jacquizz Rogers, RB, Oregon State, Jr.
The nation’s top all-around player, Rogers touched the ball 351 times last year, gaining more than 1,400 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving. With the Beavers breaking in a new quarterback, expect even more touches for Rogers.
2. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama, Jr.
Ingram’s unfortunate injury might derail his Heisman chances, but he’s still the returning Heisman winner.
3. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, Jr.
Moore’s the top returning quarterback this season. If he played for a BCS school, he would be considered a Heisman frontrunner based on his stats alone. Last year Moore passed for 39 touchdowns and just three interceptions.
4. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas, Jr.
With his blend of size and arm strength, Mallett is the most NFL-ready quarterback. The past four quarterbacks to win the Heisman have been drafted by NFL teams.
Dark horse:
Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama, Sr.
McElroy plays on the No. 1 team in the nation. With opposing defenses keying in on Ingram and company, McElroy could have Heisman-like numbers.

Ben Ingersoll
CO-SPORTS EDITOR
1. Terrelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State, Jr.
If Pryor and the Buckeyes can perform like they did in the Rose Bowl, he may just run away with it this year. After all, the Heisman is a team award.
2. Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State, Jr.
The junior is a stat-producing machine, both running and receiving. If his team performs well, expect him to be invited to New York.
3. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama, Jr.
Ingram will split carries with Trent Richardson and his bummed knee scares me a bit, but the 2009 Heisman winner deserves his spot in my top 4.
4. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, Jr.
Moore is scary accurate. With a 39-to-3 touchdown-to-incerception ratio in 2009, the Bronco leader has all the intangibles to hoist this year’s trophy. But above all, he is a winner.
Dark horse:
Rahim Moore, S, UCLA, Jr.
Dear UCLA Opponents, please do me a favor and throw anywhere near this ball hawking safety and make me look smart. Moore picked off 10 passes in 2009, the most in the nation.

Tony Petersen
EDITOR IN CHIEF
1. Terrelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State, Jr.
I personally think Pryor is overrated, but Heisman voters love dual-threat quarterbacks.
2. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama, Jr.
Would be the favorite if not for his most recent injury.
3. Jake Locker, QB, Washington, Sr.
Locker has the look of a NFL QB. And what a great name!
4. Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State, Jr.
Last year Rodgers had 78 receptions to go with his 1,440 yards and 21 touchdowns on the ground. Those stats look pretty Faulkian to me.
Dark horse:
Matt Barkley, QB, USC, So.
This pick is very unlikely, seeing as the Trojans can’t even play in a bowl game this year, but Barkley has the skills. Expect a big year out of him.