The Collegian’s Heisman Watch

The co-sports editors and editor in chief adjust their Heisman frontrunners for week four

Tony Petersen
Editor In Chief

1. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, Jr.
Moore has done nothing to remove himself off the top of this list, throwing for 370 yards and two touchdowns with 20 completions in 30 attempts. It doesn’t hurt that Boise is No. 3 in the country as well. Expect a big performance this weekend against Oregon State.

2. Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan, So.
Robinson has officially overtaken Terrelle Pryor as the premier dual-threat quarterback in college football.

3. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama, Jr.
In his first game back, Ingram showed why he won the award last year””he accumulated 151 yards on nine carries. That’s an average of 16.8 yards per carry. He also scored twice. Yup, he’s back.

4. Ryan Mallett, QB, Alabama, Jr.
Mallett has definitely impressed. He has thrown for no less than 301 yards in any game thus far and has thrown for three touchdowns in each contest. If he leads Arkansas to a victory over No. 1 Alabama, his stock will surely rise.

Dark Horse. Matt Barkley, QB, USC, So.

Barkley remains my dark horse even after a sub-par performance against Minnesota. He has led the Trojans to a 3-0 record while throwing for nine touchdowns. Look for him to pad his stats this week against weak Washington State.

Ben Ingersoll
Co-Sports Editor

1. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, Jr.
With ESPN’s College Gameday on campus, and the entire country tuned in, Moore has another chance to wow Heisman voters. He’s completing 63 percent of his passes for 585 yards and five touchdowns. Most importantly, his Broncos just keep winning. They have won 16 straight games, dating back to the beginning of last season.

2. Terrell Pryor, QB, Ohio State, Jr.
Pryor and the Buckeyes won’t be tested until they travel to No. 11 Wisconsin on Oct. 16. Until then, THE Ohio State signal caller has three weeks to pad his already impressive stats (715 pass yards, 165 rush yards, 8 total touchdowns).

3. Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan, So.
If “Shoelace” played on a team that I didn’t think will find a way to choke at some point this season, he would stand alone at the top of my list. The do-absolutely-everything quarterback is putting up ridiculous numbers. Two weeks ago, Robinson torched Notre Dame for 502 total yards and should run amok on Bowling Green this Saturday. He leads the nation in rushing yards. He’s a quarterback. Enough said.

4. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon, Jr.
Those of you who know me best are rolling your eyes. Yes, it’s true, I’m obsessed with the Oregon Ducks. But after serving his one-game suspension in the season opener, James looks even better than his 1,546-yard freshman campaign last season. Oregon’s offense is rolling with an untested quarterback, so expect head coach Chip Kelly to keep feeding James and for the Ducks to keep rolling to 500-yard games on the ground.

Dark Horse: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford, Jr.
NFL scouts are licking their chops at Luck’s intangibles. He’s big, smart and the definition of accurate. The goose egg in the interception column looks great next to Luck’s 10 touchdown passes. Like Moore, Luck will be severely tested in the weeks to come with games at Notre Dame, at Oregon and home against USC.

Vongni Yang
Co-Sports Editor

1. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, Jr.
Moore continues to play flawlessly after shredding the Wyoming secondary for 370 yards and two touchdowns. Moore will be in the national spotlight this weekend when the Broncos host Oregon State, a game that should propel Moore as the top candidate if he performs exceptionally well.

2. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas, Jr.
Mallett is coming off a final minute, game-winning touchdown pass against Georgia , throwing for 380 yards and three touchdowns. Mallett, like Moore, will be on the national spotlight when the Razorbacks host defending national champs Alabama. If the nation’s passing leader outplays returning Heisman winner Mark Ingram expect Mallett to be the leading candidate for the award.

3. Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan, So.
Robinson skyrocketed up many Heisman lists after his game-sealing drive against Notre Dame two weeks ago. The dual-threat signal caller leads the nation in rushing with 559 yards and four touchdowns from the quarterback position. Robinson isn’t too bad as a passer either, completing nearly 70 percent of his passes for 671 yards and four touchdowns.

4. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford, Jr.
Luck has yet to throw an interception in 70 attempts. The Stanford poster child is starting to generate Heisman buzz with strong performances the past three games after passing for 674 yards and 10 touchdowns. If there was no east coast bias, Luck would be much higher on many Heisman lists.

Dark Horse: Greg McElroy, QB, Sr.
McElroy gets the opportunity to go head-to-head with the nation’s leading passer. If McElroy outduels Mallet and has a bigger game than teammate Mark Ingram, he could very well become a top candidate and no longer a dark horse.