The Collegian’s Heisman Watch

The co-sports editors and editor in chief adjust their Heisman frontrunners.

Tony Petersen

1. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, Jr.
As much as it hurts putting a Bronco atop this list, Moore earned this slot with his gutsy performance last week against Virginia Tech. Though his numbers weren’t that great, it was his grit and Montana-like ability to lead his team to a come-from-behind victory that impressed fans so much. That game may be start of a magical year for the boys from the blue turf.

2. Terrelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State, Jr.
Pryor’s drop in my rankings was no fault of his own. His performance last week””247 passing yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions””is not a bad way to kick off the season. He’ll likely stay on this list all season.

3. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford, So.
If the Stanford quarterback keeps playing the way he did in Week One””316 yards, four touchdowns, a 246.7 quarterback rating””the oft-quoted saying about those from Ireland being lucky may have to be changed to the Luck of the Cardinal.

4. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama, Jr.
Last year’s Heisman Trophy winner is still on this list for his performance last season. But he may not remain much longer””football players need to play games to win awards. Seems obvious.
Dark Horse: Matt Barkley, QB, USC, So.
This pick made me look like a genius last week, as Barkley threw for 257 yards and five touchdowns. Keep it up Matt. For me.

Vongni Yang

1. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, Jr.
After leading the Broncos to a game-winning touchdown drive against Virginia Tech, Moore qualifies to be the frontrunner for the Heisman. His Montana-like confidence on the final drive is worthy of the award that recognizes the most outstanding player in all of college football.

2. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas, Jr.
Arguably the top passer in the SEC, Mallett completed over 87 percent of his throws. Mallett threw as many touchdowns as he did incompletions at three a piece. Mallett’s season debut saw him throw for 301 yards on 21-of-24 passing.

3. Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State, Jr.
In the season opener, Rodgers ran for just 75 yards on 18 carries and a touchdown, but that was due to TCU’s defense keying in on Rodgers. Once his quarterback settles down and plays to his potential, expect Rodgers to get more than 18 touches a game and start generating Heisman Buzz.

4. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford, So.
The poster child for Stanford football, Luck threw for four touchdown passes and 316 yards. With the departure of last year’s runner-up Toby Gerhart to the NFL, expect Luck to put up Heisman-like numbers.
Dark Horse: Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama, Sr.
McElroy played well in the shadow of Mark Ingram last year. But with Ingram’s injury making him sit out another game, Nick Saban could rely more heavily on the arm of his senior quarterback. In his first game of action, McElroy completed over 80 percent of his passes for 218 yards and a touchdown.

Ben Ingersoll

1. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State, Jr.
Moore skyrocketed to the top of my Heisman watch list after his performance in Boise State’s season opening win over previously No. 10 Virginia Tech. In probably the Bronco’s biggest test they will face in 2010, Moore only tallied three touchdowns, 215 yards and, most importantly, zero interceptions. The only problem is, Heisman voters typically look at late-season performances, not week one.

2. Terrelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State, Jr.
Although the do-everything Buckeye had a tune up game against Marshall in the opening week, he still put up respectable numbers. This week is a different story, however, when the 12th-ranked Miami Hurrican’s visit Columbus, Ohio in a rematch of the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

3. Demarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma, Sr.
Some questions surrounded Murray’s durability last season when he rushed for only 705 yards. Question no more. Murray carried the Sooners with 35 rushes for 208 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-24 win over Utah State.

4. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama, Jr.
I think in order for Ingram to get into the Heisman race, he needs to pad up this weekend. The Crimson Tide play the Nittany Lions of Penn State, and big games reveal big-time players.

Dark Horse:
Kendall Hunter, RB, Oklahoma State, Sr.
He’s the nation’s leading rusher! OK, it’s only the start of week 2, but Hunter’s ridiculous game against Washington State (21 carries, 257 yards, 4 touchdowns) should catch the eyes of Heisman voters.