Greeks should help police with crackdown

As most Fresno-area residents are fully aware by now, a Highway 99 crash involving a Greyhound bus and a SUV resulted in the death of six people.

Three of those victims of the fatal accident were young women, all 18 years of age and younger, and all three were intoxicated. The other three victims were passengers of the 31-patron Greyhound bus, which overturned as it was struck by the SUV operated by the young woman. The scene has since been described as especially brutal.

What many Fresnans are unaware of, however, are the ramifications of this tragic event on July 22.

Obviously the accident was a product of underage drinking, an easily avoidable yet inevitable offense, and the Fresno Police Department has been strengthening its efforts to do something about it.

First, the Fresno PD, in the weeks and now months following the accident, has been issuing stricter permit regulations on nightspot drinking venues throughout the city. Furthermore, DUI checkpoints and a citywide crackdown on underage drinking and driving has become a major policy for our city’s police department.

These recent incidents beg the question: Which Fresno State students will be affected most by the Fresno sweep of alcohol abuse? After all, Fresno State seems to pride itself on its responsible drinking habits, as demonstrated by the numerous banners and bulletins on campus. But there’s one place associated with Fresno State that not only abridges on the legality of underage drinking, it practically encourages it.

We’re talking about the 17 social fraternities and sororities that are a part of our university.

The entire object of Greek life is to stimulate brotherhood and sisterhood among the members while serving as balanced community servers and leaders for the future.

Greek organizations often pride themselves on active community involvement and charitable services””to learn more about these efforts, read Greeks bury stereotypes. Along with so many positive endeavors, however, comes a little bit of partying here and there.

The issue at hand here is that the partying has recently turned into a subvert-Fresno-Police-Department-at-all-cost maneuver, leading to several arrests for minors and “social probation” for a large portion of the fraternities.

By rule, fraternities are the only houses permitted to carry and supply alcohol to guests and residents. Sororities are to neither have alcohol on their premises nor have male guests in a sorority member’s bedroom, unless granted special permission.

Underage drinking is no secret, especially to those of us who have experienced the freedom of college. But sorority members, who are often under aged, are incited to consume alcohol at fraternities, which often spells trouble for all involved.

Since the Greyhound bus incident nearly eight weeks ago, Fresno PD has been actively trying to put the breaks on these sorts of things from happening. Meanwhile, Greek organizations at Fresno State have been taking some initiative of their own, finding ways to dodge the crackdown.

This isn’t to say that Greek life on campus has been running amok, seeking alcohol at every turn. Fresno PD is simply taking action following a horrific and tragic circumstance, and fraternities and sororities should be doing what they can to police themselves, not just for the duration of the crackdown, but permanently.

Instead of eluding the heightened underage drinking enforcement, the organizations on campus that have been given permission to host such adult events should conduct themselves in a way befitting to adults. For all the good Greek life contributes to the community, it would be in character for them to do their part in assisting Fresno PD’s effort.

$50
$500

$50
$500

ToripSep 16, 2010 at 5:16 am

Once again the Collegian unjustly bashes the Greek system (surprise surprise). As a Fresno State Alum, Greek Alum and as a past student reporter for the paper, it angers me that you continue to characterize the Greek system is such a negative fashion. Please tell me how you go from a tragic accident on the 99 to cracking down on underage drinking and driving, to involving the Greek system? Why does it ALWAYS have to come back to Greeks? Is this sour grapes? Did you not get invited to join a house???? Are you saying Greeks are the only ones who party? What about all our sports teams, or campus housing and the campus in its entirety? As a Print Journalism major, I was exposed to this negativity towards the Greek system when I was enrolled in MCJ 105. There is more to write about than the Greek System. You should focus your energy on more important issues on and around campus. The problem is drinking and driving, regardless of the age or group of people….

AMFSep 16, 2010 at 4:31 am

I do not understand why the Greek system is always targeted for these types of articles. Underage drinking is a problem in all aspects of college. And to be honest, I would love to see an article that analyzes the Fresno State athletes and their contribution to underage drinking and even hazing. If you want to attack someone – why not them? There are just as many fraternity parties as there are “football” or “baseball” parties. And at least fraternities have systems to try and help regulate underage drinking. Even if we haven’t perfected it yet, we have came a long way and are continuing to try.

• G

GuestSep 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm

The CSUF Greek community makes up for about 5% of the student population here on campus. As an active member of this Greek society here on campus, I would like to personally say that in no way, shape, or form was the incident that happened on July 22 have any relation to our social fraternities and sororities. Alcohol related issues have been a controversy in the Greek system as of late which have led to the many social probation verdicts handed out to numerous houses, but all situations were handled to the best of the responsible houses ability, and the punishments are being served and complied with as we speak. Having said that, we as a community at large realize how tragic the accident was, and unfortunately for a few of us, may have even know a victim of the crash. This is not meant to be a bash on our very distinguished, student run school newspaper, however, it is only a message to say put the blame where it is due. Don’t blindly put the repercussions of of terrible tragedy on our Greek Community when we had nothing to do with this terribly unfortunate accident. The prejudice of the person who wrote this obviously stems from very little knowledge of the inner workings of our Greek Community as a whole. We strive to make each and every individual that passes through our doors a better person in their time with us so that one day, when they graduate, they can become outstanding citizens and role models for their respective communities. Our role is essential in helping out our community with awareness of alcohol abuse; but in writing this article, you are attempting to put the untimely deaths of many individuals on the hands of our participating Greek members. I’ll close my argument with this: instead of indirectly placing the responsibility of what happened on July 22 on our Greek system, think of how you might of directly affected the lives of the many young adults who you have so blindly accused in writing this article.

Typical Frat boy!Sep 15, 2010 at 8:45 pm

YEEE!! All we do is KEG stands and shove alcohol down minors throat! Being in a fraternity my self thats all we do we do not care about risk management! Eddie D. your wack!

• -

--Sep 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Definitely NOT “finding ways to dodge the crackdowns”

After reading Monday’s article “Greeks should help police with
    crackdown” identifying Greeks as a main problem to underage drinking I
    was not only irritated, but motivated. To me, the overall point of the
    article was to point the blame at the consistent stereotypes we as
    Greek members deal with daily. I have yet (within the past 3 years) to
    see any of my friends in fraternities, or sorority members be arrested.
    Also, within the few weeks of school, I have not attended one
    fraternity event where there was alcohol served. Although, I do not
    attend all the events being hosted by fraternities, I am irritated at
    the assumptions that all parties contain alcohol as well as serve
    openly to underage attendees. Considering the recent restrictions on
    events, the public obviously is not seeing the great depths being made
    to help the “police crackdown”. As a member of the Panhellenic
    Association, I have been involved in numerous conversations that are
    aimed to help fraternities on proper risk management procedures, as
    well as proper behavior for sorority women while at events. To say that
    we as Greeks “practically encourage it” [underage drinking] is
    something of the media world and of the past. Themed parties are rare
    and alcohol served at fraternities is completely regulated and limited
    by the risk management of the fraternities. Obviously our organizations
    do need to make more of an effort to express our frustration against
    the “partying” stereotype. Considering that our Greek organizations are
    held to higher standards then the average student with GPA
    requirements, ethical practices, and campus/ community involvement
    parties were something that brought friends and Greek members together.
    Greek partying definitely does not encourage alcohol abuse and
    especially not drunk driving like the highway 99 crash referenced in
    the article. When members do both (or anything that is risky) of these
    things [abuse alcohol and drive while drinking] and the chapter is made
    aware of the incident, which usually happens every time an incident
    occurs, the member(s) are immediately addressed by chapter leadership
    which in turn identifies the problems with the members actions. With
    all Greek chapters having procedures to hold members accountable, it
    seems impossible that Greeks are not doing anything to help college
    members stay ethical. There is no reason to point the blame to anyone
    or anything that heightens underage drinking, but I can assure you
    Greeks today are not the problem. If anyone is abusing alcohol is it
    not brought on by Greek peer pressure, nor common party procedures; it
    is the individuals choice and lack of responsibility. Yes, more
    precaution can be made to reduce underage drinking [everywhere], just
    know Greeks are not the suppliers in these “adult events”. Thank you
    for the advice to help aid the police, but we are working HARD to break
    stereotypes and encourage our members to act responsibly considering
    the area we live in brings on more problems then occasional “parties”.
    It would be great if we could have some aid in the public understanding
    and not blaming us.

L.S.

• G

GuestSep 15, 2010 at 8:12 pm

It’s not surprising to me that Greeks are trying to defend themselves here. Sure the Greyhound bus accident had nothing to do with the Greek system or Fresno State but it’s pretty lame the fraternities don’t take responsibility for allowing underage drinking. It DOES happen so stop denying it and take responsibility. I know there are fraternities out there who follow the rules and I respect that but at least admit that not all fraternities and sororities are perfect.

• R

Read This!!!Sep 15, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Inevitable – Impossible to avoid or prevent.

This is the word I use to best describe underage drinking. My description is not intended to gain social acceptance or for the nation to permit such acts. My description is intended to bring rational thought to a topic that can at best be controlled.

People need to get past the idea of preventing and abolishing underage drinking, and move on to the idea of controlling it. The article attempts to entwine the tragedy that occurred on July 22 with the Greek System and Greek Organizations here at Fresno State.

The issue with July 22 was not underage drinking, but driving under the influence. The “Collegian Staff” would be making a valid point if that was their main focus. I could understand that, as well as the supporting argument of increasing DUI checkpoints.

However, that is not the case. They are targeting the Greek System as a whole. If you can agree with the idea that underage drinking is not preventable and at most controlled, then understand this: The Greek System creates a safe and controlled environment to take place (Yes, if you are wondering and not being naive, underage drinking DOES take place at fraternities).

First off, it is accessible by foot. This does not require individuals to drink and drive (the main issue the article should be targeting). The demographic of people that make up a fraternity party/gathering entail the following: dorms residence, fraternity brothers and sorority sisters. The dorms are a five minute walk from the fraternities. The sororities are a two minute walk. The fraternities are physical neighbors.

To further control the environment, sororities and fraternities are diligent in designating individuals who are responsible for being sober drivers. These individuals are established on Monday meeting, the day in which Greek Organizations meet.

A concern outsiders have about underage drinking at fraternities is the amount of consumption. This is also something that can be controlled. As an incoming freshman, your past experience with alcohol is minimal. Most freshman do not know their own limits. Because of this, fraternity members are taught to keep an eye out for individuals, and just like at a bar, cut them off.

Lastly, an important aspect of controlling the environment is who the individuals experiment around. The fraternities create a safe haven for not only Greeks but all guests. For in unity there is strength. The fraternities monitor entrances to their premises, ensuring admittance to only other Fresno State students. This prevents gang members, rapists, and other criminals from coming in contact with the younger crowds. Unlike the University Village, Bulldog Village, Plazas, where anyone can live and come in contact with these crowds, the fraternities are safe.

In conclusion, ask yourselves this, is the Greek System really the problem? Are they doing more harm than they are positive things? Can we really stop, prevent and abolish underage drinking? What is your solution? Is it not better to have individuals consuming and walking than drinking and driving?

I hope the following individuals read this:
    The Collegian Staff
    Eddie Dominguez
    Sally Ramage
    Dean of Students
    University Police Department
    The Whole Greek Community
    Anyone Who Cares About The Safety Of Students At Fresno State

• P

Paige HarveySep 15, 2010 at 5:57 am

The only word that came to me for the first five minuets after reading this poorly developed article was WOW! To address the biggest problem with this article facts were not checked, as not all of the passengers were intoxicated. “The California Highway Patrol says Garay’s blood alcohol level was above .08 and that one of the passengers, Vanessa Gonzalez, was not drinking.” I find it scary that our young reporters don’t look in to details like this. Secondly, this article is by “Collegian Staff”… weird. Was this a group think project or did a particular staff member not feel strongly enough about his opinion to put his name to it? As far as the digs against the Greek system are concerned, you have presented a lovely indirect correlation between alcohol and college students. Have you done the necessary research to see if individuals come intoxicated? Have you looked into how many of them are young freshman just out from under their parents roof? Have you checked to see how many of the people at the parties are even greek members? I would ask you if you have looked into other groups such as sports teams or clubs to see if there is the same ‘problem’ with drinking, but that brings me to my next problem with the Collegian as a whole… where is the school support? Majority of the articles the Collegian produces are taring up a team, a society, or even worse an individual. This paper should be a positive addition to our campus and not a tool of destruction.

• AnonymousSep 15, 2010 at 3:11 am

I don’t mean to make a political point from a tragedy, but I can’t help but think that I never recall hearing about three teen girls getting their hands on pot and getting baked out of their minds, eating 5 large pizzas, falling asleep, then randomly dying so why’s pot illegal while alcohol is available everywhere? Why isn’t there this stigma about alcohol and raids busting people who get caught with any amount of alcohol and locking them up?

• AnonymousSep 15, 2010 at 3:08 am

I don’t mean to make a political point from a tragedy (it may be bad taste I know), but I can’t help but think that I never recall hearing about three teen girls getting their hands on pot and getting baked out of their minds, eating 5 large pizzas, falling asleep, then dying so why’s pot illegal while alcohol is not? Why isn’t there this stigma about alcohol and raids where cops bust into people’s homes looking to lock up people caught with any amount of alcohol? It’s just kind of odd that people are so afraid of pot and think it’s terrible when something with much greater potential to be abused is on just about every street corner.

CoreySep 14, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I love how a drunk driving accident that occurred after these girls were drinking illegally at a BAR in downtown Clovis is now being pinned on Greek life. This article is misguided.

CoreySep 14, 2010 at 4:28 pm

• G

GreekSupporterSep 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm

First off, the writers of this article have probably never gone out to any social activity in college or even high school. How dare you call out Greek organizations when obviously you are not a part of one? Maybe talking to or interviewing a member of the Greek community before bashing on it would help your credibility? Don’t complain just because you were kicked out or not let into a Fraternity party. You placed an emphasis on Sorority drinking, since you obviously don’t know how to look at a map or go outside your cave and check or yourself, the sororities are located across a small street from fraternities. THAT=no driving on their part. Secondly, alcohol is not ” practically encouraged”. Those who are not of age (21) are not allowed access to ANY alcoholic beverage. The way they get around it is bringing their own and/or arriving shortly after consuming a large amount. This puts fraternities in a predicament. If a fraternity were to not allow entry to a visibly drunk under-aged person, they presumably have to walk home, then once caught and asked “where did you just come from?” they reply with the name of the fraternity. They are not asked if they drank there or anything else. Simply, “where did you just come from?” Then the fraternity is suddenly hit with sanctions for underage drinking. So since you must know absolutely everything since you are so quick to bash on Greek life, how is that fair and how do fraternities avoid that? Even when fraternities DO crackdown and under-aged people aren’t allowed entry due to being intoxicated, fraternities still get in trouble. Moral of the story: Fresno PD is trying to do their jobs, but rather than trying to work with Greek organizations they are trying to shut them down completely (Shout out to Eddie Dominguez for attempting to ruin Greek life since HIS old fraternity already got caught with Kegs and made dry). And if you want to make it in journalism and not sound like an absolute amateur, try checking your facts next time collegian writers.

• G

GreekSupporterSep 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm

AlumniSep 14, 2010 at 4:48 am

I can tell you personally from being around, and never part of, the Greek life my entire time in college, that most of those kids show up to frat parties already intoxicated. Blame cannot be placed entirely on the Greek system. Regardless if you are Greek or not, freshman year is the first time many kids are away from family and have the “freedom” to do whatever they wish. Kids take an advantage of the fact they have never experienced anything and go out of control. That is not a fraternities/ sororities fault what-s0-ever. You can blame that on parents not teaching their kids how to be around alcoholic functions etc.

AlumniSep 14, 2010 at 4:48 am