Horror movies sure to scare

New thrillers open this week

Oh, the horror.

Much to the amusement of scary movie fans, four horror films are scheduled to be released on Friday, Oct. 1. They feature elements appreciated by most scary movie fans: Possessed children, demons, swamp creatures and chainsaws.

Here is a rundown of horror films opening this week.

Let Me In (Overture Films)
What it’s about: Owen, a bullied and lonely 12-year-old boy, meets his new neighbor, a little girl named Abby who lives with her guardian. The two become best friends, but soon things get shaken up by a string of gruesome murders. While the rest of their little town is on high alert, Owen has to come to terms with the fact that his new friend might have something to do with it.
Something to look for: Despite the fact that it’s a horror movie, the friendship between the two is endearing. But watch out for an unexpected twist that explains why Abby is the way she is.
Be aware: While not the bloodiest movie, it’s the one that will stick with you the most after watching it.
Starring: Chloe Moretz, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Richard Jenkins, Elias Koteas and Cara Buono.

Case 39 (Paramount Pictures)
What it’s about: A social services worker named Emily Jenkins rescues one of her cases, a 10-year-old named Lilith Sullivan, from her abusive parents. Shortly after Lilith moves in, things take a strange turn when the people around Emily start dying of weird causes.
Something to look for: A moment in the movie that makes you think Lilith isn’t as innocent as you think she is.
Be aware: Out of all the horror films coming out this week, this just might be the darkest. Demons pop up frequently out of nowhere.
Starring: Renee Zellweger, Jodelle Ferland, Ian McShane, and Bradley Cooper.

Chain Letter (Twisted Pictures)
What it’s about: A group of high school kids receive threatening chain emails, which they all refuse to forward. One by one, each person in the group dies, leaving the remaining few to await their deaths.
Something to look for: Nikki Reed, one of the Twilight Saga stars, tries her hand at something a little bit bloodier than what her audience is used to seeing.
Be aware: This movie features quite a bit of blood. And watch out for chains showing up in more than just the chain emails.
Starring: Nikki Reed, Keith David, Brad Dourif, Betsy Russel, and Ling Bai.

Hatchet II (Dark Sky Films)
What it’s about: A continuation of Adam Green’s 2006 film, Hatchet II picks up where the first movie left off. Marybeth, the only surviving member of a New Orleans swampland tour, escapes the swampland and makes it back to civilization. But Victor Crowley, the mutant swamp creature who killed Marybeth’s family, isn’t done killing yet.
Something to look for: The connection between Marybeth’s family and Victor Crowley.
Be aware: This is probably the bloodiest movie coming out this week. If you don’t like slasher movies, don’t see it.
Starring: Danielle Harris, Tony Todd, Kane Hodder, Parry Shen, Tom Holland and R.A Milhailoff.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• G

Gina YangOct 12, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I saw “Scar 3D” last Friday at Culver Plaza Theatres in LA. An impressively frightening movie. Full of fun and gore. Some of the scenes are still haunting me. Really can’t get those images out of my head. I still can remember how the audience held their breath and gnashed their teeth while experiencing the big-screen horror in the theater. The story was strongly engaging and filled with bloody surprise. It kept me guessing and expecting the most satisfying ending and I wasn’t disappointed. So glad to hear the DVD already came out yesterday. It definitely will become one of my collections!

• E

EstevancortezSep 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Maddie, I am upset that you failed to mention that “Let Me In” is a remake of one of the best horror films of the past decade. I hope that you just forgot to include it in the article and that you have seen it. The Swedish original, “Let the Right One In,” was near perfect (aside from a CGI cat or two) and I can’t comprehend why it is being remade. If you haven’t, please do yourself a favor and go rent or buy the original. Maybe you’ll reconsider your positive review of what appears to be a horrible remake.