Fresno isn’t Hollywood

Even if you don’t know them by name, spotting a douche bag in north Fresno isn’t a rare occurrence.

In fact, it’s quite ordinary. I’d be shocked to see one outside the two-mile radius of Champlain and Perrin.

What is it about north Fresno that attracts the 30-year-old, Affliction-wearing crowd? Maybe, it’s the multiple gyms, tanning salons or dry cleaners. Maybe it’s the handful of bars. Or maybe it’s the girls who purchased breast implants straight out of high school that party there.

If the men who frequent bars like The Standard would retire the diamond-studded skull-and-crossbone number, they could realize that Fresno isn’t Hollywood. It’s highly unlikely they ever will unless it’s posted on Facebook.

With the number of locals who have been cast on reality TV, it’s surprising that VH1 has yet to hold a Tool Academy audition in Fresno. It would be ideal ”” Fall Fling alone will have boxes full of tools. But, then again, if tools are your type, then it’s time to R.S.V.P.

Fall Fling Unplugged 2010 will take place Saturday, Sept. 25. The outdoor party will provide food and cocktails from local restaurants as well as live entertainment.

Why meet locals with the same interests online, when locals with the same interests can sexually harass you in person?

A portion of the proceeds will go to the Resource Center for Survivors, a local advocacy agency. However, it’s just an excuse to get drunk in the courtyard of the Piazza Del Fiore Shopping Center, conveniently located on the southeast corner of Champlain and Perrin. Go figure. But if that’s what it takes for douche bags to donate money toward healing the survivors of sexual assault and family violence, then party on.

$100
$500

$100
$500

C.J.Sep 30, 2010 at 12:10 am

I’ve lived in Fresno for three years after living in Los Angeles of all places for the first 23 years of my life. I frequented Hollywood for concerts and dining, lived in North Hollywood at one point, and worked at the Bob Hope Airport in Burbank.

Having said that, Fresno is much worse in the douchebaggery department. Whereas the “fashionable” on Sunset are trying to fit in to a certain extent, they typically don’t come with the unnecessarily raised trucks, bad driving habits, and aura of undeserved superiority that the people mentioned in your article tend to carry around.

C.J.Sep 30, 2010 at 12:10 am

BigblueanimalSep 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm

This article smacks a bit of the same old trite ass classism. Jeeesus, you’re criticizing people for no discernibly practical reason, who are having some of the funnest times of their lives and who are also simultaneously raising money for a sincerely good cause. Damn, did you get played by one of these Mike “The Situation” Sorrentinoesque brosefs or something in the past, girl? What else could explain your wonderfully structured, but nonetheless perfectly condescending, passive aggressive blog towards Tools?

BigblueanimalSep 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm

MellissaSep 29, 2010 at 3:18 am

How do you get off by judging anyone by what brand of clothing someone wears?! Get over yourself and get your frumpy lips fixed.

MellissaSep 29, 2010 at 3:18 am

• F

FarronSep 28, 2010 at 6:00 am

i….i thought i was the only one out there. i thought i was alone in my hatred for douche-baggery. i love you lady.

AliSep 28, 2010 at 2:59 am

So this is the type of stuff they print in the college paper these days? Wow times have certainly changed since I studied at Fresno State.
    This author seems to easily judge others on their appearance….which is a bit contradictory if the photo on the left-hand side of the page is any indication. Seriously….one who takes proffesional photos using some sort of “wind machine” can not pass judgement on those who wear diamond-studded skull-and-crossbone number (no matter how stupid those are).
    No matter who attended this event, or what their motives may have been, money was raised for a VERY good cause. Good intentions were involved……can you say the same for this article?

AleSep 29, 2010 at 3:39 pm

A.) This was not published in the Collegian, but online.

B.) She’s an opinion writer, therefore, she may state her opinion even if that includes judging peoples’ appearances which you did in your response to her.

• L

LeeSep 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm

100% accurate description of north fresno. danielle you are amazing.

it doesn’t matter if the article had the best intentions. it’s an opinion article.

• AnonymousSep 28, 2010 at 12:50 am

One of the many reasons I left Fresno and never looked back…

MikeSep 28, 2010 at 12:30 am

What do you mean by posting it on facebook? I think you may have strayed from your point by calling out a local business. A business can not control the crowd it draws, and in this environment any traffic is good traffic. There does seem to be a higher number of douches in north fresno, but simply ditching a dressing preference won’t make you realize fresno isn’t hollywood, that statement in itself is a stretch. I would have to say that dressing in skull and bones doesn’t make you a tuff guy rather it makes you a jack ass. And if you have glitter and beads to enhance the product, well lets be honest you should be scrutinized where ever you go. There will always be morons (douche bags) but i think you tend to see these characters in areas of town where the Nouveau Riche live. It is really sad that certain businesses and areas of town draw consent criticism from local fresnans. There are some really nice restaurants and bars in north fresno but they are never given a chance because of negative stereotypes that people would rather continue to build on then try to change.
    Simply put North Fresno is rampant with douche bags, hate the crowd not the business. Support Local Businesses, cause Fresnans love the Corp. Chains for some reason.

MLSep 28, 2010 at 12:15 am

I completely agree with the article the only thing that boggles my mind… how are dry cleaners related to Affliction wearers? Oh, I guess you can’t clean your bedazzled skull in the washing machine. Plus, I don’t think people wear Affliction in Hollywood. That’s more like Detroit.
    Affluent Detroit.

JRSep 27, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Ms Gilbert, you hit the nail so squarely on the head! 🙂
    BOOM, DOUCHE BAGS! Everyone knows who you are. Now remove the TapOut stickers from your rear windshields.

Aalarcon1983Sep 27, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Hahahahaha so awesome I am in love