‘Dogs limping into conference play

Matt Weir / The Collegian

A week after downing Big East powerhouse Cincinnati in impressive fashion, Fresno State head coach Pat Hill has quite a few adjustments to make, and not all involve this week’s opponent Utah State.

A situation all too familiar to Hill has come up once again: Replacing injured impact players.

It was announced this week that Fresno State’s do-it-all wide receiver Devon Wylie will miss a substantial portion, and perhaps all, of this season. Wylie is expected to undergo surgery tomorrow to have pins inserted in his foot to heal a stress fracture. Wylie has yet to play a full season in his three years at Fresno State and was forecasted to have a huge impact in his final season as a Bulldog.

If Wylie’s injury is deemed serious enough to warrant a full season recovery, there is a chance he could use a medical redshirt and gain another year of eligibility.

“I think he really wants to play,” Hill said. “It’s got to be an injury that keeps him out for the season. This could be one of those injuries. You never know how they’re going to respond.”

Although Wylie’s injury could keep him on the sideline for 2010, it opens doors for the other starters to step in and newcomers to make an impact. True freshman Jalen Saunders saw limited action in the season-opener against Cincinnati and caught a critical 18-yard pass for a first down. With Wylie out, Hill said Saunders would likely fill the void in the return game as well, placing a big role on the 18-year-old native of Elk Grove, Calif.

“Jalen hasn’t played in a lot of games yet but he made a heck of a catch on that low slant against Cincinnati,” Hill said. “I think he’s got some very unusual qualities for a true freshman as far as his composure. Nothing flusters him too much. He’s a lot like Rashad Evans in that way.”

Evans was bit by the injury bug last year also and was required to redshirt before the season began while nursing a hamstring injury. Both he and junior returnee Jamel Hamler are the primary answers for the Bulldogs’ recent issues with depth at receiver. Freshman Isaiah Burse, J.J. Stallworth and Matt Lindsey, will fill out the rotation, giving Hill plenty of options to turn to.

Matt Weir / The Collegian

“Somebody will pick up the flag,” Hill said. “That’s the saying around here.”

Adding to the injury woes is sophomore running back Robbie Rouse, who tallied just 40 yards against the Bearcats and is expected to sit out this Saturday’s contest nursing nagging shoulder and ankle injuries, adding to the team’s injury woes.

Reserve running back A.J. Ellis has impressed the coaching staff in recent practices and is the favorite to see the bulk of the carries at Utah State. Cal-Berkeley transfer Tracy Slocum is now active following a turf toe injury and will also take some handoffs from quarterback Ryan Colburn.

“He’s an excellent football player also,” Hill said of Rouse. “Anytime you lose a good football player it’s a blow, but like the thing is we feel that we have players that will step in and pick up the flag.”