Move comes with harsh reality

Moving from the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) to the Mountain West Conference (MWC) was a step in the right direction, but don’t expect Fresno State athletics to make a splash in conference play once it arrives as an official member in either 2011 or 2012.

There will be some growing pains and suffering as an official member of the MWC. Don’t be surprised to see Fresno State finish in the middle of the pack or, even worse, at the valley floor of the mountain.

It might be a little harsh to say, but it’s reality. The Bulldogs haven’t found much success against opponents from the MWC in recent years, especially in the top two revenue sports: Football and men’s basketball.

A Pat Hill-led squad hasn’t beaten a MWC team since 2002, which is eye-opening if you ask me. Fresno State was an upper-tier team in the WAC last year after it finished in the Top 3 in conference play, but it still lost to a middle-of-the-pack MWC team. Against Wyoming in the New Mexico Bowl, Fresno State ran literally into a brick wall four times in a row and lost in double overtime 35-28.

Consequently, in 2008, the Fresno State defense stepped out of the way and allowed Colorado State’s Gartrell Johnson to account for a combined 375 yards from scrimmage, which is an all-time bowl game record. The loss to Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl extended a three-game winning streak for the Rams against the ‘Dogs.

During that streak, the Rams outscored Fresno State 104-73, which doesn’t seem to bode too well when the team actually starts competing in the MWC. Its not like Colorado State is the class of the conference either.

The last time Fresno State found themselves in the winners’ column against a MWC opponent was in 2002, when the ‘Dogs squeaked out a victory against San Diego State on a game-sealing field goal block in the final seconds and on a last minute fourth quarter stand against Colorado State.

Since those two memorable victories in 2002, Fresno State has been 0-4 against teams from the MWC.

In basketball, the results are similar. Even with the tenth overall pick in the NBA draft leading the ‘Dogs last season, the team still failed to come out on top twice against the MWC, falling to both BYU and San Diego State.

Fresno State is 1-7 in the last 8 games against teams from the MWC. So don’t be surprised if Fresno State struggles to compete against MWC members because the ‘Dogs haven’t fared too well as of late.

The climb to the top of the mountain is going to take time, especially if you’re starting at the valley floor.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JbizhopSep 4, 2010 at 10:59 pm

The more harsh reality is that this move weakens the exposure of Fresno State. The TV deal in the MWC is horrible. Most, if not all future games will be broadcast on the mountain network (MTN), the MWC television station. This station is not available nationally on most basic cable or dish programming and not at all on Dishnetwork. Moving from ESPN to the MTN is a step down in terms of exposure. It is going to be hard for fans out of Fresno to watch any games. In the meantime, Go Dogs and beat Cincinnati!!

• L

Love_Them_DogsAug 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Ouch! You can’t argue with facts. I’m believing/hoping that the Dogs adjust to the gameplay in the MWC and finish in the middle of the pack. Win or lose, I love my Bulldog football.