Library provides new seating for guests

Mike Howells / The Collegian Online

Out with the old, in with the new.

The Henry Madden Library has some new additions this semester, in addition to the new food policy recently introduced. New furniture was delivered to the building over the summer to give students a place of comfort.

The new furniture is spread throughout the building, and on each level.

“This furniture was part of the original design of the building, it just hadn’t arrived yet,” said Susan Christensen, Coordinator of Facilities and Event Management.

“We try to provide a variety of seating options for students,” said Christensen. “I think everyone will notice the new furniture and be pleased.”

English major Erik Reed works at the library’s reference desk as a student assistant.

“I spend a good chunk of my life in here,” he said.

Reed said the furniture would become more popular as the semester goes on, especially when students have time in between classes.

“There’s chairs on the second floor that you can rock in,” said Reed. “Those are interesting.”

Students, faculty and staff have the option of using furniture of various colors and designs, as well as style.

Special Projects Coordinator Cyndi Hoffman said the library “has a specific range of colors” that the building architect and the campus facilities planning group teamed up to develop. Hoffman said they refer to the colors as the “San Joaquin Valley Color Palette.”

The building has a total of 72 different fabrics used. Each level has a specific color scheme designed to help guests find their way around the building. The building is 340,000 square feet with four floors plus a lower level, and north and south wings. Therefore, it’s easy for guests to get lost or confused.

“The upholstered furniture was selected to compliment not only the carpet color, but the featured color from the ‘San Joaquin Valley Color Palette,’” said Hoffman.

All the fabrics in the library were chosen because they can withstand stains. The library is a public setting where people come in and out of the building all day. The fabric must be able to last a long time without looking worn. Hoffman said the carpets on the second floor, where Starbucks Coffee is located, are brown for a reason: to anticipate coffee spills.

“There isn’t enough maintenance staff to clean up after everyone,” said Hoffman. She encourages everyone who spills to report the accident to any library staff member.

In addition to fabric selection, the furniture was designed to tolerate damages that may occur. Hoffman said a great deal of the new furniture is of modular construction.

“Modular construction means that items were made up from individual pieces that, by design, can be more easily repaired and replaced because damaged or worn out parts can be replaced individually,” said Hoffman.

Furniture selection goes beyond what meets the eye. The library is not only a place to study, seek help, read and more; it’s a place to enjoy yourself.