Kremen Education Building without air conditioning

It’s one thing to cope with the intense heat outside during the summer season, but it’s quite another to be able to stand it when the high temperatures reach the classroom.

The entire Kremen Education Building was without air conditioning throughout most of Monday, ensuring students going to classes received a very warm welcome to the fall semester.

According to Robert Boyd, Associate Vice President for Facilities Management, the chilled water line began leaking on the north side of the building “We had to dig it up to find the leak and repair it last night. It was completed about 6:00 p.m.,” he said.

Students were feeling the difference as the day went on.

Ivy Fitzpatrick, who helped run the Welcome Booth to direct new students to classrooms, said it took a while to get warm.

“It’s stuffy but it could be worse.”

When Inez Elliston, also working at the booth, heard of the problem, she expected it to get much more unmanageable than what it actually got.

By 4:00 p.m., the stuffiness continues to build.

Rosa Benitez, a student seeking a teaching credential, fanned her face.

“Am I getting hot flashes or what?” said Benitez. “As soon as I sat down, I realized how hot it was.”

Two recent Fresno State graduate students sitting on the chairs down below the front entrance of the building also noticed the temperature change.

“Yeah, it’s been colder here when I’ve walked in before,” said Matt Davis, a graduate student.

“But it’s better than outside,” said Brittani Crimes.

Diana Dille, Coordinator for the Education Recruitment and Career Services, said she was coming back from a seminar and realized the plant operation staff was working on it for most of the day.

“We also had a hot water leak in the same area,” said Boyd. [We] are working on a plan to repair it as it will be needed for the winter and heating.”