Fresno State and Nevada breach WAC contract

Fresno State and the University of Nevada announced Aug. 18, 2010, of its departure of the Western Athletic Conference. However, the decision to accept the Mountain West Conference invitation was made six days late and $5 million short.

The corporate resolution, reached Aug. 13, 2010, agreed to by both Fresno State and Nevada, called for both to remain members of the WAC through June 30, 2016.

WAC commissioner Karl Benson stated in a news release Monday that, “The WAC fully expects to receive the $5 million from both Fresno State and Nevada and will take legal recourse if necessary to obtain the money. As for the termination date, WAC Bylaws make it very clear that Fresno State and Nevada must remain in the WAC through the 2011-12 season unless the WAC authorizes an ‘early out.’”

Benson added that, “Fresno State and Nevada leaving the WAC following the 2010-11 season would cause irreparable financial harm to the remaining WAC members in terms of football scheduling and potential loss of revenue from television and bowl games. The damages that Hawai‘i, Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State and Utah State would incur could exceed as much as $2 million per school.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

ChristianSep 1, 2010 at 1:22 am

The contract is contingent on BYU joining the WAC. There is an out clause if BYU doesn’t join the WAC or joins another conference. Since they joined the WCC, Fresno and Nevada are off the hook regardless of the agreement or the backroom deal with BYU.

AfortunaAug 31, 2010 at 9:06 pm

It’s not a breach of contract if they pay the exit fee described in the contract. If they left the conference without paying the exit fee, then it would be a breach.