Back to school, back to shows

New TV shows, as well as old favorites, rule the small screen this fall.

Bring on the serial killers, the Gleeks, the bleeding rich boys and William Shatner, who all usher in this season’s lineup, ahem, this season’s fall TV lineup.

The first of the fall season’s TV shows start Sept. 7.

The new season is bringing back old cable television shows after several years of being off-the-air, such as Hawaii Five-0 on CBS.

Highly acclaimed new shows, such as HBO’s Boardwalk Empire, also hit the small screen this season.

The new favorites

• Hellcats (The CW)
    Synopsis: Marti Perkins, played by Aly Michalka, competes for a spot on the Lancer University cheer squad, which comes with a scholarship. However, there are strings attached: With the position on the squad comes drama galore from Marti’s new roommate, Savannah Monroe.
    Stars: Ashley Tisdale, Aly Michalka, Heather Hemmens, Robbie Jones and Matt Barr.
    Why you should watch: The dancing is fun to watch, and Michalka, known for her stint as a Disney kid, is a surprisingly good actress.
    Premiere: Wednesday, Sept. 8, 9/8c

• Better with You (ABC)
    Synopsis: A family of four, including two grown daughters, navigate the ins and outs of one sister getting engaged to her boyfriend of seven weeks at the dismay of her sister, a career-savvy attorney.
    Stars: Joanna Garcia, Jennifer Finnigan, Josh Cooke, Jake Lacey, Kurt Fuller and Debra Jo Rupp.
    Why you should watch: The relationship between Mia, the carefree sister, and Maddie, the high-powered attorney, makes for some good laughs, especially when Mia announces she’s married and pregnant. The boyfriends’ interaction with Mia and Maddie’s parents are funny as well.
    Premiere: Wednesday, Sept. 22, 8:30/7:30c

• Lone Star (FOX)
    Synopsis: A Texas con man and oil executive leads a double life as he tries to balance his career, his wife in Houston, and his girlfriend in Midland, all while hiding his secrets from his father-in-law.
    Stars: Mark Deklin, Bryce Johnson, David Keith, Kevin Machate, Eloise Mumford, Adrianne Palicki and Jon Voight.
    Why you should watch: A rich oil executive who leads a double life? It doesn’t get much more dramatic than that.
    Premiere: Monday, Sept. 20, 9/8c

• My Generation (ABC)
    Synopsis: In Texas, a group of high school students are filmed by a documentary camera crew during graduation season, and the same camera crew follows up with the group 10 years later.
    Stars: Michael Stahl-David, Jime King, Keir O’Donnell, Sebastian Sozzi, Anne Son, Kelli Garner, Mehcad Brooks, Daniella Alonso, Julian Morris and Elizabeth Keener.
    Why you should watch: The difference between age 18 and age 28 for all the characters are, of course, intriguing and the mockumentary feel to the show is similar to that of The Office.
    Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 23, 8/7c

• Nikita (The CW)
    Synopsis: An assassin, Nikita, attempts to derail the government organization that trained her to be a killer when she was a troubled teen.
    Stars: Maggie Q, Shane West, Lyndsy Fonseca, Aaron Stanford, Melinda Clark and Xander Berkeley.
    Why you should watch: Nikita’s descent into rogue status begins with a twist.
    Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 9th, 9/8c

• Outsourced (NBC)
    Synopsis: Todd Dempsy, an American businessman, tries to manage a call center for a company in Mumbai, India, and learns about Indian culture as his employees learn about American culture.
    Stars: Ben Rappaport, Diedrich Bader, Parvesh Cheena, Pippa Black, Rebecca Hazlewood, Rizwan Manji, Anisha Nagarajan and Sacha Dhawan.
    Why you should watch: People from two cultures trying to understand one another brings up good points and life lessons.
    Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 23, 9:30/8:30c

• S#*! My Dad Says (CBS)
    Synopsis: This Twitter-feed sensation turned TV show stars William Shatner, whose character, Ed picks on his son to the amusement of the audience.
    Stars: William Shatner, Jonathan Sadowski, Will Sasso and Nicole Sullivan.
    Why you should watch: William Shatner. Enough said.
    Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 23, 8:30/7:30c

The old favorites

• Chuck (NBC)
    Last season: Chuck’s father passed away. Chuck feels that it’s his fault. Ellie remembers a moment from her childhood where she promised her father that she’d protect Chuck, but fails when she loses the truck that Chuck and his team are inside.
    This season: Expect the usual amazing fight scenes, as well as a new skill that Chuck picked up over the summer.
    Premiere: Monday, Sept. 20, 8/7c

• Bones (FOX)
    Last season: Bones leaves work for a year to do research, and Booth ships off to Afghanistan.
    This season: Booth’s got a new flame, and Camille makes headlines, which brings the crew back together.
    Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 23, 8/7c

• Glee (FOX)
    Last season: New Directions loses sectionals to a powerful rendition of “Bohemian Rhapsody” by a rival school’s glee club, Vocal Adrenaline. Shelby adopts Quinn’s baby.
    This season: A Britney Spears-themed episode opens the beginning of the season, and John Stamos competes with Will for Emma.
    Premiere: Tuesday, Sept. 21, 8/7c

• Gossip Girl (The CW)
    Last season: Chuck, depressed and alone, took off for Europe where he was mugged and shot in the street.
    This season: Serena and Blair go to Paris to find Chuck.
    Premiere: Monday, Sept. 13, 9/8c

• The Office (NBC)
    Last season: Dunder Mifflin squeaks its way out of a bad PR situation, and Holly gets transferred to the Scranton office.
    This season: Steve Carell’s last season on the show is sure to bring a good round of inappropriate jokes, awkward stares between Jim and the camera and the usual office insanity.
    Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 23, 9/8c

• Smallville (The CW)
    Last season: Clark threw Zod off the face of the earth right before Lois found out about Clark’s superpowers. Oliver was kidnapped by agents of Darkseid, a power that Clark fights in the upcoming 10th season.
    This season: Expect this to be the last season premier of Smallville, bringing about Clark’s transformation into Superman and, finally, the first appearance of the blue and red suit on the show.
    Premiere: Friday, Sept. 24, 8/7c.