‘Dogs shine in Red/White scrimmage

Photo By Matt Weir / Collegian File Photo

With the 2010 season opener just a week away, the Fresno State women’s soccer team is in full force as they prepare to hit the road for their first game against Pepperdine on Aug. 20.

The ‘Dogs had the chance to showcase their hard work during their second annual Red/White scrimmage Wednesday, and head coach Brian Zwaschka couldn’t be happier with his team’s performance.

“We were really pleased as a staff because the group addressed a lot of individual things that we’ve worked on up to this point,” Zwaschka said. “In particular, I’m happy with the effort they put into this to make sure that it had the level of a real competition, and I think it definitely showed today.”

Junior Kendall VanDine not only stood out in Wednesday’s scrimmage, but also in the 2010 Preseason All-WAC selections as she and fellow teammate Kaitlyn Revel both received recognition.

“It’s an honor to be recognized like that,” VanDine said. “It’s nice to get those little awards, but really we’re just here for the team, and as long as I’m giving 100 percent every game that’s all I care about.”

As for the team, the Bulldogs were picked to finish fifth this year in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Preseason coaches’ poll.

“It’s disappointing,” Zwaschka said of the prediction. “Because I know the history of this program and the quality of what we currently have, but I respect the coaches of the WAC. I understand that they’re basing it on results and other ideas they had from last year, so we just need to look forward and prove them all wrong.”

Revel said regardless of her Preseason honors, her main focus remains on her team as a whole.

“I think we’re playing well taking into account that we’re only about 15 practices in,” Revel said. “I think everybody worked really hard today, and that’s what we wanted despite the injuries and everybody being a little banged up.”

Revel and the rest of her team will continue their prepping and training for the upcoming season and will conclude fall camp Aug. 13 when they travel to Berkeley, Calif., for an exhibition against Cal.