Student Q&A with Kristi Gies

Joy Marie Hallare / The Collegian

Now is the time of year that some of our fellow classmates are leaving the dog house and embarking on their journey as mature Bulldogs ready to take a bite out of the job market.

Business marketing major Kristi Gies, 26, happens to be one of those Bulldogs who is graduating and receiving her diploma this semester.

While Gies might be ready to graduate, she is not nearly done packing for her new paid internship at Walt Disney World, which she found through the advertisements on campus.

Q: What was the process for getting the paid internship?

A: Well, I saw the flyers on campus before and tried to get the internship once before, but was not accepted. I stayed excited and interested in getting the internship. Basically I watched the website for the application and when it was posted I filled it out. Then I had to follow the process of interviews. There is both a Web interview and a phone interview, which are both important. I think missing the web interview is what cost me the internship before. Finally I got an e-mail telling me that I was accepted to the program.

Q: How long is the internship?

A: The internship is seven months and it starts in June.

Q: What are your duties for the internship?

A: I am going to be selling merchandise to the people that are visiting the parks. I am not sure which of the five parks I will be working at, but I will be selling to the people there.

Q: Where will you be staying?

A: Disney provides apartments for people that get the paid internship. The rent comes out of your pay check, so it is one less thing to worry about.

Q: Are you excited to graduate?

A: Yes, I am really excited to graduate and go and do my internship. I am walking too, which is exciting because it is one of those rites of passage.

Q: Who is going to watch you walk?

A: My parents are coming, along with a few relatives. I am not sure about my sister. She has to get the day off from work.

Q: Why did you pick your major?

A: I transferred to Fresno State from Fresno City College. When I got to Fresno State, I was told to pick a major and marketing seemed the most fun to me.

Q: Why did you choose Fresno State?

A: It was the only one that was close and that I could attend.

Q: Do you have any unique talents?

A: I can juggle actually. I also draw. I draw random stuff which is usually whatever I am in the mood to draw.

Q: What has been you favorite class here?

A: Kinesiology classes do not count? I was in a gymnastics class here that was very fun and I finally learned to do a trick that I have wanted to do for a long time. But, academically my favorite class was my Marketing 132 class. I thought the teacher was fun. We got to choose our own projects and work in groups. It helped that I had a good group.

Q: If you were a candy, what flavor would you be?

A: That is an interesting question. I guess it would be milk chocolate because I love milk chocolate.

Q: Who is your hero?

A: My sister. I have always looked up to her because she is very smart and she always knew what to do in situations.

Q: What is your favorite activity to do in Fresno?

A: I would say that my favorite activity in Fresno would be going to the movies.

Q: What is your advice for undergrads about graduating?

A: My advice is to look for a job early on before you graduate from college. It would also help if you have done an internship as well.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• P

peter robertsonMay 12, 2010 at 8:57 am

Nice article on Kristi! She was also a student intern for the 4th annual “I am Fresno State!” project this year! Brava!