Bulldogs finish season at regionals

Matt Weir / The Collegian

The women’s softball team finished 41-21 overall to end the 2010 season.

After a tough loss at the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championship Tournament where the ‘Dogs fell to Hawaii 14-3 in title game, they still had hope in making it to the NCAA Tournament.

Losing their automatic placement into the NCAA Tournament play, the Bulldogs were holding out for a spot with an at-large bid into the tournament. At the viewing party the team received a spot for the 29th-straight year to the tournament.

The ‘Dogs played San Diego State in the first-round play at the Los Angeles Regional. Coming up short in the first game at Easton, the ‘Dogs lost the game 3-2.

Michelle Moses allowed 8 hits with 6 strike outs, recording only her second loss of the season.

The Bulldogs advanced to the loser’s bracket on Saturday on the brink of elimination with one more loss. Battling back, the ‘Dogs were able to go undefeated against Saint Mary’s, 6-0, in the first game and facing San Diego, 4-3, again in the second.

These two wins advanced them to the Los Angeles Regional championship game against the No. 5 host team, UCLA. The ‘Dogs would have to win two games against the Bruins in order to advance to the Super Regional Tournament.

The Bulldogs put up a hard fight Sunday, but came up short losing 7-2 to end the 2010 softball season.

Michelle Moses posted another outstanding game allowing only three runs on five hits and four strike outs.

The team will only be losing two seniors this season, Brooke Phipps and Lisamarie Coronado, and are ready to take on the challenge to once again make it the NCAA Tournament and the ultimate goal of the College World Series in Oklahoma in 2011.