Student Q&A with Heather Uribe

Joy Marie Hallare / The Collegian

For freshman Heather Uribe, family has been an important part of her life, and an influential part in helping her select her major.

Uribe is a criminology major with an emphasis in law enforcement. She said most of her family is in the law enforcement field, which has allowed her to get a firsthand look at the job.

She said she is thinking about pursuing a career in the FBI. Uribe said because she is going to college for her degree, she wants to pursue a high-ranking position in law enforcement.

Q: What is something people would find interesting about you?

A: I’m good at video games. I really like Ultimate Fighting Championship. It’s something that girls don’t usually play. I like Brock Lesnar in the heavyweight [division].

Q: How did you pick your major?

A: I have a lot of family in law enforcement. My uncle went to Fresno State, and now he is a detective. I went on a couple of ride-alongs with my cousin, and I really liked it. We pulled people over, but we didn’t really arrest anyone.

Q: What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?

A: I have eaten cow tongue before. It’s pretty good. I eat it a lot. It’s actually one of my favorite foods. My mom makes it. You just boil it and put it in a taco.

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

A: I really want to go to Italy, because it’s really beautiful. I really want to go to Venice. I’ve seen documentaries on Italy, and it just looks really cool.

Q: What are you passionate about?

A: I am passionate about my major. It interests me, the way people act, and why they do certain stuff. I’m taking a juvenile delinquency class right now. It’s really interesting, because I’m learning about the different aspects of crime, like why people commit crime.

Q: What are you most afraid of?

A: I am most afraid of being alone. I am a people person, so I don’t like to be alone a lot.

Q: What do you do in your spare time?

A: I like to hang out and play guitar. I’ve been playing guitar for two years. It’s just something that I do on the side. I also love sports. I used to play volleyball in high school, so I do that. One of my friends plays volleyball with me.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Fresno State?

A: It’s a really nice campus, and it has a really good program for my major. I’m taking mostly G.E. classes right now, so it’s not really that interesting. I am looking forward to taking more classes for my major.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve?

A: When people drive slowly on the road. I don’t like driving slow. It’s just one of those things. I rarely go the speed limit. But I’ve never gotten a ticket, because I’m careful. I’m a pretty good driver. I have never gotten into a car accident.