Springing back into shape after break

Spring break tends to become a weeklong fest of binge sleeping, eating and drinking, leaving little time for exercise leading to larger numbers on the scale.

But now that the semester has restarted, it is time to hit the gym again.

Jeremy Richter is a personal trainer at the Fresno State Student Recreation Center and a master’s student in the sports psychology program. He shares his fitness knowledge with students to help them get back into the exercising groove.

Richter said circuit workouts are a great way to stay in shape anywhere, with or without a gym. No equipment is needed for any of the exercises, and they require very little space.

The full-body work out consists of push-ups, crunches, bicycle crunches and lunges. The push-ups shape the chest and arms while utilizing the whole body. The crunches and bicycle crunches focus on the abdominal muscles and the oblique’s, strengthening the body’s core. Finally, the lunges work out the entire leg, targeting the thigh, hamstring and gluts muscles.

[flv:/video/RecVidApril6.flv https://fscollegian.com/a/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/RecVidApril6Video.png 320 240]

Richter said exercisers should do five of each exercise, repeating the pattern as many times as possible in a 10-minute period. He said people can change the number of repetitions and the allotted time period based on their fitness level.

Tami Phillips is a Fresno State instructor in the kinesiology department who teaches physical education for children, aerobic conditioning, weight training, Pilates and walking.

Phillips suggested cardio or circuit workouts when exercising at home or on the go. She adds pull-ups and dips to the circuit to target more muscle groups.

She said exercising is an important part of living a happy and fulfilling life. She said people should work out “to improve every aspect of life: energy and vitality, confidence and poise, health and longevity.”

Phillips is also the founder of the Tandalay Curriculum and the PLAY Network, which provides easily accessible activity resources for physical educators and recreation leaders. She said there are many tricks people can use to help them get the most out of their workouts.

She said people should set realistic and clearly defined goals to stay motivated and produce results.

“Instead of saying, ‘I want to lose 20 pounds by the end of the semester,’ try something more concrete like, ‘I am going to walk or jog at least 10 miles every week for the rest of the semester,’” Phillips suggested.

She said to focus on cardiovascular activities like running, cycling or swimming if trying to lose weight. Working out with weights or doing body-weight exercises, like in the circuit workout, will increase muscle mass, she said. And for those looking to increase their flexibility and core strength, Phillips suggests Yoga or Pilates.

Richter said another technique to stay motivated is to make short-term and long-term goals. He said it is important to have something to work toward that will provide immediate and long-lasting results.

He also said to skip exercises that are boring and tedious.

“Try to find some sort of enjoyment in it,” Richter said.

He said exercising is not a hobby, but a lifestyle. People have to surround themselves with the right environment to make exercising a part of their life, Richter said.

“A social group can change your habits,” he said.

Richter said a lot of people make the mistake of easing back into their workouts. He said the best way to start exercising is to go in full force, hitting the gym three to five days each week.

“Make exercise part of your schedule,” he said.

He said exercisers can do cardio workouts every day, but should switch muscle groups each day when lifting weights, so the muscles have time to rest. He also said the more intense a cardio workout is, the less time that is required to do that exercise.

Richter said eating right is also an important part of being fit and healthy. He said people should write down everything they consume, so they are held accountable to what they eat, and realize the kinds of food and how much of it they are putting into their bodies daily.

Phillips said fresh foods are the best choice when trying to eat healthy.

“Make your diet as full of color as possible, with lots of colorful fruits and vegetables,” she said. “The key is to focus on the nutritive aspects of what you eat.”

Students needing a little more help starting a workout routine can utilize the personal training services the recreation center offers for as low as $20. Richter said it is a great way to learn how to get the most out of a workout, and is a lot cheaper than most gym fees.

Richter said he teaches people how to mentally prepare for exercising, and how to workout properly.

“I can use my knowledge to help people reach their fitness goals,” he said. “It’s a great way of helping people out.”

Students can also sign up to be a part of an intramural sports team to have fun while exercising. Intramurals give students the opportunity to play on a team, providing motivation to work out.

The recreation center is currently taking sign-ups for tennis, kickball and softball. Upcoming sports include dodge ball and table tennis.

Prices vary from $10 to $20 per team. Students interested in joining or creating an intramural team can sign up in Member Services at the recreation center.

Visit fresnostaterecreation.com for recreation center hours, services and more.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• P

Parker GreenSep 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Since I was on break I gained a lot of weight. My brother told me about this site that offers a whole body vibration machine called a power plate. I checked out the site which is http://www.wavexercise.com and sure enough I got the machine and tried it and it’s worked fantastically!