Salsa in paradise at Vintage Days

As students and community members “Hang ‘10” during Vintage Days, they can hit the dance floor for a night of salsa.

This year’s Salsa in Paradise event starts at 7 p.m. Friday in the Satellite Student Union. The evening will start with an hour-long dance lesson. The dance floor will then open for free dance until midnight, with dance performances throughout the evening.

Adriana Mendoza, president of the salsa club, said this is a yearly event for the group. She said the club enjoys having the opportunity to share their passion for salsa.

“We try to showcase as much of our local talent as possible,” she said.

Mendoza said there will be performances from several dance teams, including the Fresno State Salseros, Prodigy Dance Co., Danza and groups from Buchanan and Fowler high schools.

Othon Gurrola is the chair of promotions for the salsa club and a performer for the Salseros. He said the group will perform two salsa routines, called “Compai” and “Me Libere.”

Gurrola said the Salseros practice two to four hours three days a week in preparation for the performance. He said their routines will be a great part of the event.

“Everyone who attends will have an opportunity to see a great show featuring some of the best dancers in the community,” Gurrola said.

Mendoza is also part of the Fresno State Salseros. She said the Salseros will have the first and last performance of the night.

The opening number will be the routine the club perfected last year, and the closing routine will be the dance the club has been working on this semester, Mendoza said.

She said the hybrid of performances and open dancing makes the event a great opportunity to have a good time.

“You get to not only enjoy a night of great performances, but you can also enjoy the dancing and the music,” Mendoza said.

Timothy Oglesby, treasurer of the salsa club, said the performances will be a highlight of the event.

“People should expect to see a lot of great dancing and very detailed choreography,” he said.

Oglesby said the event will be a good opportunity for people to learn about salsa, and how to dance.

April Mack, historian of the salsa club, said dancing is a great way to meet new people. She said members of the club will go around and dance with people at the event.

“We want to make everybody feel as welcome and comfortable as possible,” she said.

Mendoza said the event will have appetizers to refuel dancers throughout the night.

The event is open to all ages, and no partner is necessary. Tickets are $8 for Fresno State students, and $12 for the public.