Letters to the editor

To the editor:
What is the world coming to?

I silently lost a little hope in humanity the other day. Like most of us, I’m broke as a joke, so when the chance of a free meal comes by, I’m first in line.

I found out that Panda Express throws all the extra food out at the end of the night. (Being the hungry opportunist, that I am, I had to do something immediately!)

So I made a plan and stuck to it. I perfectly time my arrival, as if I didn’t have it planned out. I saw the horrid trash can the food was about ready to be dumped in. I made eye contact with the lady and smiled. Playing dumb, I asked if the food was thrown out at the end of the night. Inside I giggled a little bit, my frugal (cheap!) mother would have been proud of me! But all of a sudden my foolproof plan hit rock bottom. I could tell the lady had been down this road before. She mentally reverted back to some policy lingo that justified why she had to put the food in the trash and not give it to me. I did everything but beg. No food.

At first, I was upset because I was hungry, but then, later the next day, it really got to me. What if I was a starving little kid or a homeless man? Would they have given me the food? I would like to think they would have. But as I stood there, watching everything going into the garbage, I had my doubts.

Chris Filosa

$100
$500

$100
$500

Christina Patricia FilosaApr 13, 2010 at 12:13 am

This guy must be packing heat.

marcos blancoApr 12, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Dominic- Some people cant afford cheap meals. Have a little respect for humanity and dont degrade people for not wanting to waste perfectly good food. Hopefully one day you know what its like to now know where your next meal will come from, then you will understand. I bet you arent broke and never have been. Mommy and daddy probably pay for food and school.

Dominic GrimaldiApr 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Have a little respect for yourself. I bet you are the same guy i saw diging through the Starbucks' trash can to get a cup — just so you could get cheap refills. Jesus. How low are you willing to stoop to get a free/cheap meal?

Christina Patricia FilosaApr 10, 2010 at 11:29 am

This guy is really insightful, I wonder if he has a girlfriend?