Connect Day counselors aid incoming frosh

Incoming freshmen and transfer students familiarized themselves with Fresno State Saturday morning as they participated in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Connect Day.

EOP staff members wanted to connect, inspire and prepare the students as they begin their journey as a university student.

John Lor, an EOP counselor, said about 75 students and their parents were expected to participate in the event as group strengthening activities, administration requirements and Dog Days information were presented.

“One thing about success is you have to know individuals on campus. You have to have mentors, you have to know what resources are available,” Lor said.

The program provides counseling and workshops to first-generation, low-income and educationally disadvantaged students.

Incoming freshman Rene Mancinas attended the event over the weekend and said he was able to meet new people and become comfortable with the campus.

Mancinas, who attended Crescent View Charter High School in Fresno, said he learned there were other options to pay for college such as loans and financial aid.

Samantha Arreola, an incoming freshmen from Porterville, said she expected to learn more about the program.

“I’m stressing coming to college,” Arreola said. “And they say that they’re going to be there, and I can always go talk to them.”

The senior at Granite Hills High School said she learned she should cap working to 20 hours per week and set studying as the priority during an informational.

Victor Olivares, the coordinator for EOP’s Summer Bridge Program, said one of the biggest obstacles freshmen come across during their first semester is understanding the demands of the university as compared to high school.

“In high school, they pretty much lay out your controls, and somewhat [your] senses, by tardy bells and those kinds of things. Here you’re pretty much on your own,” Olivares said.

Olivares said that it could become very difficult and stressful to manage four three-unit classes when three hours of reading are expected per unit.