Coach works his way to the top Fresno

Brianna Campbell / Collegian File Photo
The Bulldogs won the Western Athletic Conference title outright this season. Finishing with 27 wins for the season.

From interim coach trying to clean up a mid-season mess, to becoming one of the most respected NCAA women’s basketball coaches in the nation, Adrian Wiggins has accomplished more than just a winning record with the Fresno State women’s basketball team.

Wiggins is drawing in the attention and has become a well-known coach around campus, but few know where he comes from. Growing up an only child, in a diverse military town and being adopted by his grandparents. Wiggins learned to value people in general and what they had to say.

Wiggins credits his accomplishments and success to the players, administration, President John D. Welty, the fans and pretty much anyone else you can think of before he credits himself.

“The first year was really a learning experience,” Wiggins said. “I had a lot of support from the administration, and that really made me comfortable. President Welty was very good to our players and gave a nice ear to what they wanted and needed.”

The assumption for some is Wiggins got his start as head coach by applying and possibly pushing for the position, but those assumptions couldn’t be further from the truth.

When the job opened Wiggins was encouraged to apply, but didn’t feel he was in the position to submit an application. He had planned to move back home to Oklahoma, but was grateful for the opportunity and expressed his gratitude to everyone who pushed for him.

The offer was constructed differently and Wiggins was asked if he’d be willing to take an interim position. He accepted and was honored that he was given the chance.

“My genuine desire to work for [Fresno State] is pure,” Wiggins said. “I’m very thankful. They didn’t have to call and ask me. They had the door open to do whatever they wanted and they still asked me to come back and were willing to give me a shot.”

Receiving the job as head coach broadened Wiggins’ perception from when he was an assistant, and was able to see a deeper side of the team and the Fresno State community.

“I saw a lot of compassion in the university for the actual players and that meant a lot more to me than winning and losing,” Wiggins said. “There were so many things that I didn’t know, and that I had to learn and experience. I had to trust a lot. The ones who made it easy for me were the players.”

While the support from Welty, the program and the administration has been there from the start, going support from some of the fans took a little longer.

Brianna Campbell / Collegian File Photo

“My first game as head coach, the crowd booed,” Wiggins said. “It was sad, and hurt my feelings a little bit. But every time there was that call to my house telling me to leave, or that person in line telling me to quit, there were four other people that would come back and stick up for me.”

Wiggins said his players gave him strength during that time because of the fight they put up for him to be there, and in return, he makes sure to put forth that same effort for them.

“You can ask any one of my players, if they ever call, I always answer,” Wiggins said. “They’re always first. I will help them get a job, I will call whoever they want, I will write whatever letter they need.”

Wiggins believes instilling the importance of moral value in his players, helps create the chemistry his team has. He engages the girls in several bonding activities such as reading inspiring stories, sharing family history and talking about everyday life.

“It connects me to them,” Wiggins said. “I do it because I love to teach. It’s my passion.”

When listening to his team speak at a post-game press conference, it’s seldom audiences will hear a single player credit herself for her achievement. The praise is always passed along to her teammates and coaches, which roots back to the bonding activities the team participates in.

“We’ve done lessons on the Lakota Sioux Native American tribe,” Wiggins said. “In their tribe, if glory befalls you then you have to give away your most prized possession. Many times their warriors are their poorest people.”

Wiggins said, implementing these principles within a team is often underestimated by those on the outside. He believes there’s more to basketball than just basketball and stresses that his players should come here not only to play, but to find themselves and build their lives.

“I try and be there for them no matter what,” Wiggins said. “I let them know that they’re going to mess up, but I want to help them learn how to eliminate those mistakes.”

While Wiggins played baseball on a scholarship at Cameron University, he spent a majority of his free time playing basketball and watching practices. It was then he realized, “that’s what I want to do, I want to build a team.”

Despite joking that he wasn’t good enough to play basketball at the collegiate level, Wiggins feels basketball fits him best in terms of coaching””and it shows.

After finishing with 27 wins, the best in program history, he led his 2009-10 team to its third consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament.

For those who are concerned Fresno State may lose Wiggins to another program, there’s no need to worry just yet.

“I’m in the middle of trying to buy a swimming pool which should be a good sign that I’m not going anywhere.”