What’s up with the GOP?

The reality that confronts the Republican party and their votaries is one they are not willing to acknowledge. Nothing short of a revolution can bring about the uninhibited, individualistic utopia they claim to admire, yet they represent a resist to change and little else, which, in turn, makes describing conservatism relative to the status and direction of existing social tendencies.

This is the message of F.A. Hayek, a staunch free-marketeer who wrote a short treatise in 1960 called “Why I am not a Conservative.”

“It may succeed by its resistance to current tendencies in slowing down undesirable developments,” Hayek said, “but, since it does not indicate any other direction, it cannot prevent its continuance. It has, for this reason, invariably been the fate of conservatism to be dragged along a path not of its own choosing.”

Today, this is still a canny depiction of the Republican party. Hayek also asserts that their inability to combat bad ideas with good ones is because they are not equipped with any principles by which to oppose them. He argues that conservative’s “romantic nostalgia for the past” is not conducive to reclaiming the idea of integral freedom, which requires a forward looking attitude.

Where the Republican party has miraculously deceived its constituents is in the idea that their brand of conservatism is American’s only and last saving grace against the tyranny of big government.

Michael D. Tanner of the Cato Institute uncovered in his book “Leviathan on the Right,” that “New Republicanism” has become devoted to using large-scale government to achieve party ideals, highlighted by the largest increase in spending during the G.W. Bush era since the Great Society.

The hackneyed mantra Republican’s often spew about being the party of the “American worker” was obliterated by Thomas Frank in his book “What’s the Matter With Kansas?” It accounts for the Republican Party’s ability to rally militant support from formerly liberal and democratic states like Kansas into a cultural war centered on social issues and class warfare. This political rapture of Kansans allowed Republicans to put forth the illusion that their deregulatory, pro-corporatist ideology was in Kansas’ labor-based constituency’s best economic interest. Numerous small scale agribusinesses were swallowed whole by farm monopolies, similar to the Pacific Railroad monopoly of the 19th century, that would eventually deteriorate many of Kansas’ rural, farm-based counties.

Robert Stokes, a retired professor and former GOP activist, wrote a column signifying his departure from the Republican Party, citing their abuse of constitutional freedoms; manipulation of 9/11 to fuel irrational nationalism; and how Americans, though formerly isolated, have been discouraged from emotionally adapting to the changing risks in today’s world. He said party affiliation is “an informed, continually evaluated decision; not a bond of blind loyalty, like that of dog and man.”

This is not a back door attempt to prop up the Democratic Party, but rather a call to spotlight the state of hopelessness that is the Republican Party. Their palpable desperation for populist support inspires collectivism and irreproachable nationalistic pessimism that, in part, explains their unapologetic approval of degenerates like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck. It is merely due to the mercurial nature of America’s electorate””the same fad that afforded Obama a resounding presidential victory””that may very well lead to a victory for the party in this year’s mid-term elections.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Sean LowrieMar 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I'm inclined to agree, though the Dr. Paul crowd may make at least a plurality of Republican constituents aware of the inherent problems with the GOP platform at current.

Though really, I'd stress that to reclaim the sort of liberties envisioned by Jefferson, the same ones Hayek, Mises, Rothbard, and many others wrote of, we've got to put aside the (R)/(D) L/R sideshow.

That's all it is. The L/R “split” is has merely evolved to be something of a sideshow that, conveniently, has kept the vast majority of Americans oblivious of the steady march towards collectivist thought. Jefferson never envisioned a collectivist people, nor is collectivism a viable answer for human happiness or human rights.

But enough of my preaching.

There are some great resources out there for rediscovering classically liberal thought. I recommend these, they're what I've been studying in large for a while.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com (Dr. Paul's website)
    mises.org (Foundation for the economist Ludwig von Mises)
    http://www.theadvocates.org (A site dedicated to introducing “Libertarian” principles to the curious)

Long live liberty!