Taxing the tanned

California, where the sun shines, beaches are numerous and celebrities roam about. For those of us who live in the heart of the state, our version of California is a little less glamorous. The summer months are excruciatingly searing, winter fog antagonizes Valley drivers and unfortunately, the sun isn’t always beaming.

Yet, on any given March day, when gloomy, frigid days have dominated the region since September, one can spot countless numbers of young women (and men for that matter) with skin that looks as bronzed as it does during the Valley’s heat wave in July.

Those unseasonably year-round tans may quickly leave some pale if the tax on tanning salons goes through in the Senate’s new health care bill. The 10 percent tan tax aims to discourage the use of indoor tanning and would apply to all venues that offer the service. Sunless tanning options, such as spray tans and lotions, are excluded from the tax.

The tanning tax replaces the Senate’s initial “Bo-tax” (a play on Botox) which was an attempt to add a five percent tax on elective cosmetic surgery procedures. The American Academy of Dermatology lobbied against the “Bo-tax” and in place recommended the tan tax.

President of the American Academy of Dermatology Dr. David M. Pariser said his organization proposed the sin tax on tanning beds because of its established health risks and rising health care costs.

“We made the case this will reduce health care costs by hopefully reducing skin cancer in the future ”” that’s the point ”” and also raise a little revenue now,” Pariser said.

The tax is expected to raise $2.7 billion over 10 years while the “Bo-tax” would have garnered $5.8 billion, the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation estimated. The disparity of generated revenue is argued against by claims that all sin taxes aim to cease unhealthy habits and cut costs associated with those behaviors as opposed to increased financial gain.

One can imagine that tanning devotees and salon owners are hot over this issue. They declare the tax singles out women who are the owners of many tanning salons and are the majority of the tanning clientele.

In a state that advocates synthetic beauty, those Californians who consider a proper tan ordained by God must be in an uproar.

Despite the numerous medical findings that correlate the increased use of tanning beds to the rise in skin cancer, there’s something about that insatiable lust for a sun kissed glow that makes people turn a deaf ear.

And although the cancer division of the World Health Center declared tanning beds definite causes of cancer, joining the list with tobacco, the Hepatitis B virus and chimney sweeping, the most frequent tanning bed users won’t let a little thing like cancer scare them. The World Health Organization went as far as to deem tanning beds carcinogenic to humans, alongside asbestos, arsenic and mustard gas.

Even an analysis of about 20 studies that concludes the risk of skin cancer, more notably the deadliest form melanoma, increases by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before the age of 30 will not deter the most staunch tanning fanatics from sandwiching themselves in a bed that emits ultraviolet radiation.

If countless doctor and medical warnings won’t stop men and women from consciously climbing into bed with a cancer risk, why should a 10 percent tax?

$100
$500

$100
$500

• L

Lisa | CyberKnife-4-CancerApr 21, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I don't think we should put a tax on this – we should simply ban tanning beds. We have the same problem here in Australia.

JamieMar 5, 2010 at 7:38 am

A report published last summer by the World Health Organization summarized that “there was no consistent evidence for a dose-response relationship between indoor tanning exposure and risk of melanoma.”

The report's strongest study — which followed more than 100,000 women over eight years — found that less than three-tenths of 1 percent who tanned frequently developed melanoma while less than two-tenths of 1 percent who didn't tan developed melanoma. Almost all the other studies in the report did not establish a strong link between the two.

Opponents of indoor tanning have emphasized one statistic in the report to justify increased regulations, a conclusion that the risk of getting melanoma is 75 percent higher among people who begin using tanning salons under age 30, compared with those who don't.

The overall risk of contracting melanoma — whether using tanning beds or not — remains well under 1 percent.

For that reason, using the 75 percent statistic is misleading, said Dr. Lisa M. Schwartz, co-author of “Know Your Chances,” a consumer-oriented book on understanding health statistics.

“Melanoma is pretty rare and almost all the time, the way to make it look scarier is to present the relative change, the 75 percent increase, rather than to point out that it is still really rare,” said Schwartz, a general internist at Veterans Affairs Medical Center in White River Junction, Vt.
    18,000 salons

The first tanning salons opened in the mid-1970s, and today there are roughly 18,000 across the country. About 30 million Americans tan at least once a year, according to the International Smart Tan Network, the educational institute for North American indoor tanning businesses.

Even as salons proliferated, melanoma struck less than one-half of 1 percent of the U.S. population and fewer than five of every 100,000 people die from melanoma, a rate that has not changed over three decades, according to the federal National Cancer Institute, which tracks deaths and diagnoses of cancer.