Super seniors to submit plans

Illustration by Michael Uribes / The Collegian

Though the Fresno State administration is striving to get students to graduate at a higher and faster rate, university officials said the emphasis on a quality education is not lost.

With talk of streamlining graduation, some people feel that the administration is focusing too much on quantity rather than quality. However, Paul Oliaro, vice president for student affairs, said the only thing being done to speed up graduation is the contacting of students who are eligible to graduate, but who have not applied for graduation.

“The purpose is to have them submit a plan identifying when they will graduate,” Oliaro said. “Any efforts to encourage students to graduate earlier will not adversely affect the quality of their experience, but it could improve the quality of other students’ experiences if they can more readily get the courses that they need every semester.”

Students that fit under this phenomenon are often called “super seniors,” which refers to students who have completed 120 credits, but have not yet met the requirements for a degree. These students can find themselves spending multiple years, more than the traditional four, trying to earn their bachelors degree.

Chasity Maske, an occupational therapy major, is a super senior. She has completed 123 units, however she is still 18 units shy of earning her degree.

“I didn’t know what I wanted to major in, so I figured it would take longer [than four years],” Maske said.

Also, like many students, Maske changed her major, which had much to do with the surplus in units.

“Students need to work at their own pace,” Maske said. “I have never met a graduate that took too long. As long as they graduate, that’s the most important thing.”

Oliaro shares this sentiment. He said while it is important to get students to graduate in a timely manner, the most important thing is that they walk away with the highest quality education possible.

Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs William Covino said six years is the target for which students should earn their degree.

“We want students to complete their education here in a timely way so that they can start their careers,” Covino said.
Maske feels the “six-year plan” is very attainable.

“Six years is a pretty reasonable goal,” Maske said. “But the focus should still be more on the amount of students graduating instead of how fast they earn their degree.”

As for talk about restricting electives and allowing for fewer dropped classes, Oliaro said he is not aware of any such plans.

“The only restrictions we have is on the number of courses that students can repeat,” Oliaro said. “And the limits on how many credits from which students can withdraw during their career as a student is the same as it’s always been.”

Maske said she was never restricted from taking a class herself and had never heard of such a case in her time at Fresno State.

Maske plans to graduate in May and has even met with her advisor.

“It’s really important to meet with your advisor after each semester to make sure you are staying on track for graduation,” Maske said. She also said her advisor told her to take fewer classes each semester to lessen her workload.

“I focused more on getting good grades in my classes rather than finishing quicker,” Maske said.