One-finger salute

Thumbs up
Cursing in the Obama Administration

(For the duration of this “thumb,” The Collegian will substitute a rhyming word for each curse word quoted). White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is already on record calling Democratic activists “sucking tea-shards,” and now David Axelrod, an aide to President Obama, has now exclaimed that he does not give a “flying duck” about critics of the administration. Hey, who can blame them? Times are tough, it’s understandable that they’d be frustrated. If only their jobs were as easy as Joe “It’s easy being vice-president” Biden.

Thumbs down

President of Iran calling 9/11 a “fabrication”

In between threatening to wipe Israel off the map and denying the Holocaust, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said this about the horrors of Sept. 11: “The September 11 incident was a big fabrication as a pretext for the campaign against terrorism and a prelude for staging an invasion Afghanistan.” Tell that to the 3,000 human beings who died that day, you little jerk.

Thumbs up
Germany tells Greece what the difference between them is

We’ve all heard Poor Richard’s advice, “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” Apparently, Germany takes that very seriously. The German tabloid Bild wrote an open letter to Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou, explaining the differences between the countries thusly: “We get up early and work all day.” Brilliant! Just one question: Can Windex solve Greece’s economic problems?

Thumbs down
America’s unemployment woes continuing

The U.S. jobless rate stayed steady at 9.7 percent for last month with 36,000 Americans losing their jobs. This is being hailed by the Obama Administration and its acolytes as proof that the long-awaited recovery is finally happening. In the meantime, underemployment””which includes part-time workers and those who have given up looking for jobs””rose from 16.5 percent to16.8 percent, according to Bloomberg. What was that about a recovery?