One-Finger Salute

Thumbs up
Winter Olympics

Even though we lost the gold in hockey to Canada (quick aside: our defensemen suck! Ryan Miller, you are still the man!), we have still won the most medals in the Olympics. That’s right. Take that Canada! USA! USA!

Thumbs down
Winter Olympics

Even though we still won, the Winter Olympics has some of the most boring sports to watch ever. When curling is the sport rising in popularity, something has got to be wrong. Plus, how does Canada not win the most gold medals every time? It’s the Winter Olympics! Does it ever not snow there? We are at a competitive disadvantage! It’s akin to surfing becoming an Olympic sport during the summer games. Wait, what are we doing? We’d kill at that! IOC, are you listening?

Thumbs up
Breast implants save woman’s life

You read right. Last week in Simi Valley, a woman got shot in the chest and her size-D breast implants halted the bullet fragments just enough to stop them from hitting anything vital, though puncturing the implants in the process. “I don’t want to say a boob job is the equivalent of a bulletproof vest,” LAPD firearms instructor Scott Reitz told the LA Times, “So don’t go getting breast enhancements as a means to deflect a possible incoming bullet.” They obviously don’t hurt though!

Thumbs down
Women sues for age bias

An 85-year-old woman who worked a beer stand at New York Mets baseball games was let go and replaced by a younger woman. She sued for age bias. Why the thumbs down? The woman replacing her was 75! Needless to say, the judge unceremoniously threw out her lawsuit.

Thumbs up

March

Who isn’t excited for March? Honestly. We have college basketball’s March Madness, fantasy baseball drafts start up, St. Patrick’s Day and comedian Jerry Seinfeld is coming to Fresno. Oh March, why are you so good to us?

$100
$500

$100
$500

ThatOneMar 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm

The print version of my comment on the Winter Olympics contained a typo. In the sentence “… Rocky Mountains of the Sierra Nevada…” It should have been Rocky Mountains OR the Sierra Nevada (as it is in the online comment here).

Thanks

ThatOneMar 1, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Thumbs Down to the Winter Olympics?!!! I was shocked to hear that you think the Winter Olympics is boring for spectators. Sure, curling may be an exception, but how can you argue against freestyle aerial skiing, moguls, short-track speed skating, half-pipe, and downhill skiing, just to name a few. In almost every event, the athletes push the limit and are often on the edge of disaster in order to decrease their time or get the biggest air. I think the three one-hundredths of a second between gold and silver keeps things pretty interesting.

I understand the humor here but contrary to your belief, it doesn't snow in Canada all the time. A majority of the population lives just north of the U.S. border and it can be quite pleasant during the summer. And if you've ever heard of the Rocky Mountains or the Sierra Nevada, you might realize that we aren't really at any disadvantage in terms of spectacular terrain.